[Humanist] 26.433 public good vs personal data protection

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Oct 29 09:19:38 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2012 12:12:24 -0700
        From: Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.431 public good vs personal data protection?

As a complete amateur, my caveat, may I reply to Miran's: " As it is
impossible to separate dead from alive, and exclude public personalities and
fictional characters, the user is handicapped when trying to get
concordances concerning literary heroes, authors of fictional works, or any
other Slovene person."  Why should there not be some Google-ish algorithm
available or created to separate the names of the living from the dead.  The
dead are quite another category of the "public good," [defined my what
authority? O'Brien's?] and the names of published authors at least are not
to be kept privy from scholarship or sociology or medical, etc. research.
Both public and private realms ought to be amenable to a proper search
engine, since everything digitized is immanently public, not private...?

Jascha Kessler

--
Jascha Kessler
Telephone/Facsimile: 310.393.4648