[Humanist] 26.389 events: Nordic DH; Turing; libraries; social informatics

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Oct 17 07:35:14 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Claire Clivaz <Claire.Clivaz at unil.ch>                     (68)
        Subject: Call for Participation: SocInfo 2012 (Early Registration
                Deadline: October 31, 2012)

  [2]   From:    "Secretariat at isast.org" <secretariat at isast.org>          (104)
        Subject: Qualitative and Quantitative Methods in Libraries
                International Conference

  [3]   From:    S Barry Cooper <pmt6sbc at maths.leeds.ac.uk>               (130)
        Subject: Turing Year October 17 update

  [4]   From:    Ray Siemens <siemens at uvic.ca>                             (30)
        Subject: Nordic Digital Humanities

        Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 12:59:14 +0200
        From: Claire Clivaz <Claire.Clivaz at unil.ch>
        Subject: Call for Participation: SocInfo 2012 (Early Registration Deadline: October 31, 2012)

International Conference on Social Informatics (SocInfo2012)
LAUSANNE, December 5-7, 2012

*** Early Registration by October 31, 2012 ***

http://www.socinfo2012.com
--------------------------

The Fourth International Conference on Social Informations (SocInfo
2012) is focusing this year on how technology can influence social
phenomena through better motivation of human agents, through the use of
social norms, through better modeling, or through a better understanding
of social concepts like trust, credibility, privacy, and fairness.
SocInfo 2012 will be held at EPFL in Lausanne, a young engineering
school that has grown in many dimensions, to the extent of becoming one
of the leading European institutions of science and technology. The
mission of Socinfo 2012 is to provide an interdisciplinary venue for
researchers from Computer Science, Informatics, Social Sciences and
Management Sciences to share ideas and opinions, and present original
research work on studying the interplay between socially-centric
platforms and social phenomena. The conference program will reflect this
in the keynote talks, tutorials, workshops and paper sessions addressing
emerging topics which attract interdisciplinary research attention.

The conference will be preceded by two workshops on December 4, 2012,
the First international workshop on Just-in-time Sociology JITSO 2012
and the EINS Workshop on Internet Trust, Reputation, Identity and
Privacy. On December 7, afternoon the FutureICT flagship initiative will
organize a special session.

In addition, there will be a social program that covers reception and a
banquet in the pre-Christmas ambiance of Montreux for participants to
know one another better and to appreciate the local environment.  With a
good combination of work and fun, SocInfo 2012 hopes to foster
collaboration among the social informatics researchers as well as to
demonstrate the relevance of their research to a wider community.

The conference receives support from Nokia Research, The European
Network of Excellence in Internet Science and the LARC Living Analytics
Research Center.

The online registration of SocInfo2012 is now open. The early-bird full
and student registration fees are *** CHF 550 and CHF 290 ***
respectively.

We strongly encourage early registrations at:
http://www.socinfo2012.com/registration/#info
The early registration deadline is *31 October 2012*.

The program highlights include:

Keynotes
--------

About the Why? and the How? of psychologically plausible agents
Andreas Ernst, University of Kassel

Big Data and the Attention Economy
Bernardo Huberman, HP Research

From Computational Social Science to Socio-Inspired Technology to
Artificial Societies
Dirk Helbing, ETH Zürich

Tutorials
---------
Human activity and mobility patterns: measurements, models, and
implications.
Vittoria Colizza, INSERM, Paris

Supporting sociological theories with social media data mining
Luca Aiello, Yahoo! Research Barcelona, Spain

Online Social Experiments with nodeGame
Stefano Balietti, ETH Zürich

More information about the program can be found at the conference
website.

Student Travel Support
The SocInfo 2012 organizing committee invites applications for small
grants to help cover the travel expenses and registration. The award
grant has kindly been made available by the previous SocInfo organizers.
 Please check out http://www.socinfo2012.com/registration/#support

Learn more at http://socinfo2012.com