[Humanist] 26.385 announcements: Encoding Shakespeare; NSF grant for summit

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Oct 16 09:54:19 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Michael Ullyot <ullyot at ucalgary.ca>                        (9)
        Subject: Project Launch: Encoding Shakespeare

  [2]   From:    I-CHASS <chass at ncsa.illinois.edu>                         (59)
        Subject: NSF Awards I-CHASS $97,991 Grant for Radical Innovation
                Summit

        Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2012 07:30:16 -0600
        From: Michael Ullyot <ullyot at ucalgary.ca>

Some weeks ago, Willard asked those who lurk on the Humanist mailing list to introduce ourselves and our work. I'm glad now to be able to fulfil his request.

I've just launched "Encoding Shakespeare," a three-year project to improve the automated encoding (using NLP) of early modern English texts, to enable text analysis. My ultimate objects are the EEBO-TCP texts, transcriptions of printed texts in English from c. 1473 to 1700. My plan is to use Shakespeare’s complete works as a training set: to encode their linguistic features (which ones is an open question) using the expertise of online curators drawn from those who read and teach Shakespeare's texts.

A more detailed, if provisional, desription is here: { http://bit.ly/Sqjj4q }.

yours
Michael Ullyot

Michael Ullyot, Assistant Professor
Department of English, University of Calgary
ullyot.ucalgaryblogs.ca/  |  @ullyot  |  403.220.4656