[Humanist] 26.367 events: models of text; DHSI 2013

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Oct 11 07:02:04 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Joris van Zundert <joris.van.zundert at huygens.knaw.nl>    (109)
        Subject: Interedition: CFP Bootcamp #13

  [2]   From:    Ray Siemens <siemens at uvic.ca>                             (24)
        Subject: 2013's Digital Humanities Summer Institute (6-10 June 2013,U
                Victoria)

        Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2012 00:39:14 +0200
        From: Joris van Zundert <joris.van.zundert at huygens.knaw.nl>

== Interedition: Call For Participation Bootcamp #13 ==

Interedition has the pleasure of inviting all interested scholars and
developers to participate in the upcoming Bootcamp to be held on the
occasion of the 2012 conference of the European Society for Textual
Scholarship (http://ests2012.huygens.knaw.nl/). This bootcamp will be held
from 21 until 24 November 2012 at the Huygens Institute for the History of
the Netherlands in The Hague (http://www.huygens.knaw.nl/).

== Challenge ==

Computational models of text in the Digital Humanities are strongly
informed by the technological basis which practitioners in the field choose
to process them. Such technological bases may be found in XML-based
technologies[1] employed for encoding, processing and delivering digital
texts. They may be found in alternatives like the Resource Description
Format (RDF)[2], string-/range-based models[3, 4] or network/graph-oriented
approaches[5]. Which ever: each of these technological frameworks shape the
way we construct and (in the end) conduct computations on digital texts.
While the family of XML-related tools forms an ecosystem which does not
only include an encoding standard but also offers a manifold of options for
processing XML-encoded data (XPath, XQuery, XSLT, XProc etc.), alternatives
often fall short of providing easy-to-use, practical solutions for the
digital humanist when it comes to leveraging the advantages of such
complementary approaches.

This particular bootcamp therefore sets a formidable challenge: can the
contours of an alternative, domain specific language (DSL) for the flexible
processing of texts (beyond the constraints of e.g. XML) be defined and the
beginnings of a reference implementation be designed and constructed in
mere days?

== Programme ==

* Wednesday 21 November 2012
Day 1 of the bootcamp will be an unconference on the concepts and
particulars of text modeling. Which existing models (graphs, ranges,
trees?) or what combination serves us the most. What verbs make up our
language, to what scholarly concepts does it answer? And how do we
implement it?

* Thursday 22 & Friday 23 November 2012
Day 2 & 3 will be hacking, developing, testing, and reiterating. The idea
is to end with a minimalist implementation that for example could execute
something like:

witnesses = Witnesses.new()
witnesses.add( 'http://example.org/rest_tei&id=00.1.3233.2' ).add(  '
http://example.org/rest_tei&id=00.1.3233.3' )
witnesses.first.annotate( new Range( 20, 40 ), "My annotation" )
variant_graph = witnesses.collate.graph
variant_graph.out( './examples/exmp_001.svg' )

All naive assumptions and implicit architectural subtext in this fictitious
example are discussables!

* Saturday 24 November 2012
Day 4 will be evaluative. We see what we have, what problems we identified.
Also we make a start with disseminating our findings in a blog post and the
layout of a journal contribution.

== Bursaries ==

Kindly sponsored by the Huygens Institute 'Interedition' is able to offer a
limited amount of bursaries typically ranging from 500 to 750 Euros
depending on travel distance. Successful applicants are expected to attend
the full bootcamp, and should in general be early stage researchers and/or
developers (< Ph.D. + 10 years) able to motivate a clear interest and
experience in tool design, development, and/or text modeling.

If you are interested in participating in the bootcamp, please send an
email to joris.van.zundert-AT-huygensinstituut.knaw.nl by *10 November
2012*. In the email please state your affiliation, add a short description
of your current or related development work in digital humanities. Please
also suggest what you want to bring to the bootcamp as to modeling and
development expertise, and what you hope to take away form it.

== About Interedition ==

Interedition (http://www.interedition.eu) is a digital humanities community
initiative whose objective is to further the interoperability of tools in
digital scholarship. Interedition is raising the awareness of the
importance of interoperability as a major driver for sustainability for
tools and data in the field of digital scholarship. This activity takes two
forms: firstly, meetings in which researchers in digital scholarship can
network their knowledge of tools and the possibilities for their
interoperability; secondly, the development of proof-of-concept
implementations of interoperable tools. These proof-of-concept tools are
the focus of Interedition's periodic bootcamps, which offer the open source
development community in the humanities opportunities to meet, network, and
exchange knowledge.

== About the organizers ==

The bootcamp is organized through the kind efforts of:

* Ronald Haentjens-Dekker (Huygens Institute for the History of the
Netherlands)
* Joris van Zundert (Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands)

== Bootcamp venue ==

Dekenzaal
Huygens Institute for the History of the Netherlands
Prins Willem-Alexanderhof 5
2595 BE  The Hague
(52.081669, 4.327998)

(Note that the venue is *different* from the ESTS2012 conference venue to
ensure good development facilities. The ESTS venue in Amsterdam is a 40
minutes train ride away.)

== Bootcamp start ==

Wednesday 21 November 2012, 10AM CEST

== References ==

[1] TEI: The Text Encoding Initiative. http://www.tei-c.org/
[2] Di Iorio, Angelo, Silvio Peroni and Fabio Vitali. “Towards markup
support for full GODDAGs and beyond: the EARMARK approach.” Presented at
Balisage: The Markup Conference 2009, Montréal, Canada, August 11 - 14,
2009. In Proceedings of Balisage: The Markup Conference 2009. Balisage
Series on Markup Technologies, vol. 3 (2009).
doi:10.4242/BalisageVol3.Peroni01.
[3] Nicol, G. T. Core Range Algebra: Toward a Formal Model of Markup. In:
Proceedings of Extreme Markup Languages. Montréal, Québec, 2002.
[4] Thaller, M., 2006. Strings, Texts and Meaning. In: Digital Humanities
2006 The First ADHO International Conference. Université Paris-Sorbonne.
July 5th-July. 9th. Conference Abstracts. Centre de Recherche Cultures
Anglophones et Technologies de l'Information. pp. 212-214.
[5] Schmidt, D., and R. Colomb (2009). A data structure for representing
multi-version texts online.International Journal of Human-Computer Studies
67: 497-514.