[Humanist] 26.352 events: art & design for STS

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Oct 5 07:05:13 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 14:46:34 -0500
        From: Stan Ruecker <sruecker at ualberta.ca>
        Subject: Design and STS workshop in Copenhagen Tues Oct 16--call forparticipants by Oct 8

On behalf of my colleague Laura Forlano, here is an interesting
workshop opportunity for your immediate attention.

- Stan Ruecker

******

Experiments in (and out of) the studio: Art and Design Methods for
Science and Technology Studies
One day workshop, Tuesday October 16th, 2012

10:30AM-5:30PM, Copenhagen Business School, Copenhagen

The organizers invite participation in an interdisciplinary one-day
hands-on workshop on emerging methods of critical practice in science
and technology studies, in particular methods that engage with art and
design as well as performance and exhibition. Ultimately, we aim to
refine our understanding and also intervene in the way that objects
can stimulate and embody critique in STS.

The workshop comprises three parts: (1) A morning of talks and
participant discussion in the creation and interpretation of digital
and material artifacts will operate as a means of exploring how
techno-scientific knowledge is produced and how the social
significance of that knowledge is refracted through material things.
(2) A midday ethnographic exploration of the city of Copenhagen will
focus on documenting urban technology through notes, photography,
video and sketches to feed into the final session. (3) In the
afternoon, we invite participants to build 'machines of enquiry' to
materialise and experiment with the ethnographic material as a way of
prototyping research insights.

If you are interested in participating, please send a brief (3-5
sentences) expression of interest and a short 250-word bio or CV to
Dehlia Hannah dh2058 at columbia.edu by October 8th at 5pm EST. Please
put ‘Pre-EASST Workshop’ in the subject heading. We will notify all
participants about the status of their application shortly afterwards.

Co-organizers:
Laura Forlano, Institute of Design, Illinois Institute of Technology
Dehlia Hannah, Philosophy Department, Columbia University
Kat Jungnickel, Sociology Department, Goldsmiths, University of London
Julien McHardy, Sociology Department, Lancaster University
Hannah Star Rogers, Science and Technology Studies, University of Virginia

This event has been jointly supported by INCITE, Goldsmiths
(University of London) and Microsoft Research Cambridge.

Laura Forlano, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Design
Institute of Design
Illinois Institute of Technology