[Humanist] 26.346 events: cfp for The Senses & Technology

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Oct 4 07:15:04 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 3 Oct 2012 12:31:24 +0200
        From: Stefan Krebs <stefan.krebs at RWTH-AACHEN.DE>
        Subject: Call for papers : The Senses & Technology - Annual Conference of the German Society for the History of Technology 2013

Invitation to the 22nd Annual Conference of the German Society for the History of Technology (Gesellschaft für Technikgeschichte)

10-12 May 2013, The Saxon State and University Library in Dresden, Germany

The board of the “Gesellschaft für Technikgeschichte” invites proposals for papers at the 2013 Annual Conference, concerning the theme:

The Senses & Technology

Local organizers include the Dresden University of Technology: Chair for the History of Technology and Engineering Sciences; Collaborative Research Centre 804  “Transzendenz und Gemeinsinn”, Sub-project M;
and the Special-Subject Collection “History of Technology” at the Saxon State and University Library Dresden (SLUB).

In recent years historians of technology have studied the technological production, re-production, use and epistemological status of images—in short, the visual culture of the history of technology. They have paid less attention to the acoustic, olfactory, gustatory and tactile dimension of technology. Still, all five senses play an important role in the engineering, production, use and disposal of technology. Indeed, the entanglement of the classical senses with other senses—like Eugene Ferguson’s “Minds Eye” of the engineer, or Ferdinand Redtenbacher’s senses of gestalt, order and composition—opens a broad field of inquiry.

Furthermore, technology also shapes our senses: our sensory perception is subject to historical change. Examples for this historical conditioning of the senses include culturally grounded complaints about various trade and industry emissions. For instance, noise and smell accompanied the history of the automobile since its invention. More and more, manufacturers emphasize the sensory qualities of consumer goods: the literal experience of a technology using the senses. Sensory technology should emotionally touch and fascinate users. Therefore the sensory perception of technology is optimized: different senses become involved and intertwined in the design process (synesthesia). Again, the automobile is a key example: sound, smell and the surface feel of the car’s interior are thoroughly developed according to future drivers’ alleged desires. Another recent example is the hype surrounding touch screens of smart phones and tablet computers.

In addition, the sensory dimension of skilled manual work is of special interest. Another field of study is technical measuring, recording and playback devices: the engineering, as well as the use of such tools and instruments requires and affects our senses.

The aim of our conference is the investigation of the above outlined sensory dimension of technology: e.g., one can ask which role the senses play in the engineering of technological artefacts? How are different senses involved in the production process? Which role do they play in the design and appropriation of new technologies? How does sensory perception shape the use of technology and how does technology shape our daily sensory perception? Does increasing technical interconnectedness (CCTV, virtual worlds) affect our perception? To answer these and other questions one can study related discourses, as well as specific sensory practices. Which tacit und embodied knowledge is involved in the sensory appropriation of technology? Is sensory perception part of technological knowledge? How do we learn, develop and transmit such knowledge? And finally: How can we display the sensory dimension of technology in museum exhibitions?

The conference invites participants to an interdisciplinary discussion. It aims to stimulate a critical reflection on the state of the art of historical studies on technology’s sensory dimension, the presentation of interesting case studies, and the identification of desiderata. Not least, questions about the hierarchy of the senses, and the relation of the other senses to the above mentioned visual culture of technology arise: Can we speak of a transformation and hierarchization of the senses in late technical modernity?

The main conference language is German, though selected papers in English will be accepted. Please note that travel expenses cannot be refunded. Abstracts for contributions (max. 350–400 words) and a short, one-page CV are requested by January 6, 2013. Please send these to: Dr. Stefan Krebs, s.krebs at maastrichuniversity.nl

For further information please contact: Dr. Uwe Fraunholz, uwe.fraunholz at tu-dresden.de ; phone +49 (0)351 46334899

---

Dr. Stefan Krebs
Postdoc researcher
Department of Technology & Society Studies
Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences
Maastricht University, P.O. Box 616
6200 MD Maastricht, The Netherlands
Email: s.krebs at maastrichtuniversity.nl
Visiting address: Grote Gracht 86, Room 0.002
--Boundary_(ID_r5BJZbtxiaIoUoUtvLP7Dg)

<HTML xmlns:o = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" xmlns:st1 =
"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags"><HEAD>
<META content="text/html; charset=utf-8" http-equiv=Content-Type>
<META name=GENERATOR content="MSHTML 8.00.6001.19298">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Invitation to the 22nd Annual Conference of the
German Society for the History of Technology (Gesellschaft für
Technikgeschichte)</FONT></DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>
<DIV><BR>10-12 May 2013, The Saxon State and University Library in Dresden,
Germany</DIV>
<DIV><BR>The board of the “Gesellschaft für Technikgeschichte” invites proposals
for papers at the 2013 Annual Conference, concerning the theme:</DIV>
<DIV><BR>The Senses &amp; Technology</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Local organizers include the Dresden University of
Technology: Chair for the History of Technology and Engineering Sciences;
Collaborative Research Centre 804&nbsp; “Transzendenz und Gemeinsinn”,
Sub-project M; <BR>and the Special-Subject Collection “History of Technology” at
the Saxon State and University Library Dresden (SLUB).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>In recent years historians of technology have
studied the technological production, re-production, use and epistemological
status of images—in short, the visual culture of the history of technology. They
have paid less attention to the acoustic, olfactory, gustatory and tactile
dimension of technology. Still, all five senses play an important role in the
engineering, production, use and disposal of technology. Indeed, the
entanglement of the classical senses with other senses—like Eugene Ferguson’s
“Minds Eye” of the engineer, or Ferdinand Redtenbacher’s senses of gestalt,
order and composition—opens a broad field of inquiry.</FONT></DIV><FONT size=2
face=Arial>
<DIV><BR>Furthermore, technology also shapes our senses: our sensory perception
is subject to historical change. Examples for this historical conditioning of
the senses include culturally grounded complaints about various trade and
industry emissions. For instance, noise and smell accompanied the history of the
automobile since its invention. More and more, manufacturers emphasize the
sensory qualities of consumer goods: the literal experience of a technology
using the senses. Sensory technology should emotionally touch and fascinate
users. Therefore the sensory perception of technology is optimized: different
senses become involved and intertwined in the design process (synesthesia).
Again, the automobile is a key example: sound, smell and the surface feel of the
car’s interior are thoroughly developed according to future drivers’ alleged
desires. Another recent example is the hype surrounding touch screens of smart
phones and tablet computers.</DIV>
<DIV><BR>In addition, the sensory dimension of skilled manual work is of special
interest. Another field of study is technical measuring, recording and playback
devices: the engineering, as well as the use of such tools and instruments
requires and affects our senses.</DIV>
<DIV><BR>The aim of our conference is the investigation of the above outlined
sensory dimension of technology: e.g., one can ask which role the senses play in
the engineering of technological artefacts? How are different senses involved in
the production process? Which role do they play in the design and appropriation
of new technologies? How does sensory perception shape the use of technology and
how does technology shape our daily sensory perception? Does increasing
technical interconnectedness (CCTV, virtual worlds) affect our perception? To
answer these and other questions one can study related discourses, as well as
specific sensory practices. Which tacit und embodied knowledge is involved in
the sensory appropriation of technology? Is sensory perception part of
technological knowledge? How do we learn, develop and transmit such knowledge?
And finally: How can we display the sensory dimension of technology in museum
exhibitions?</DIV>
<DIV><BR>The conference invites participants to an interdisciplinary discussion.
It aims to stimulate a critical reflection on the state of the art of historical
studies on technology’s sensory dimension, the presentation of interesting case
studies, and the identification of desiderata. Not least, questions about the
hierarchy of the senses, and the relation of the other senses to the above
mentioned visual culture of technology arise: Can we speak of a transformation
and hierarchization of the senses in late technical modernity?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>The main conference language is German, though
selected papers in English will be accepted. Please note that travel expenses
cannot be refunded. Abstracts for contributions (max. 350–400 words) and a
short, one-page CV are requested by January 6, 2013. Please send these to:
</FONT><FONT size=2 face=Arial>Dr. Stefan Krebs, <A
href="mailto:s.krebs at maastrichuniversity.nl">s.krebs at maastrichuniversity.nl</A>
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial>For further information please contact: Dr. Uwe
Fraunholz, <A
href="mailto:uwe.fraunholz at tu-dresden.de">uwe.fraunholz at tu-dresden.de</A> ;
phone +49 (0)351 46334899</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=2 face=Arial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>---<BR>&nbsp;<BR>Dr. Stefan Krebs<BR>Postdoc researcher<BR>Department of
Technology &amp; Society Studies<BR>Faculty of Arts and Social
Sciences<BR>Maastricht University, P.O. Box 616<BR>6200 MD Maastricht, The
Netherlands<BR>Email: <A
href="mailto:s.krebs at maastrichtuniversity.nl">s.krebs at maastrichtuniversity.nl</A><BR>Visiting
address: Grote Gracht 86, Room 0.002</DIV></BODY></HTML>

--Boundary_(ID_r5BJZbtxiaIoUoUtvLP7Dg)--