[Humanist] 26.533 canonical citations

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Nov 30 07:57:19 CET 2012

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Anna Jordanous <anna.jordanous at kcl.ac.uk>                 (92)
        Subject: Re: URIs for classics

  [2]   From:    Gaby Divay <Gaby.Divay at ad.umanitoba.ca>                   (14)
        Subject: great digital Montaigne at UChicago

        Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2012 12:34:08 +0000
        From: Anna Jordanous <anna.jordanous at kcl.ac.uk>

Hi Neven,

I am exploring exactly that type of canonical citation for the SAWS
project (Sharing Ancient Wisdoms) - how to cite manuscripts/collections
within manuscripts/sections or items within collections?

The Perseus Digital Library's use of CTS URNs *in a URI format* is
proving to be quite an inspiration - Bridget Almas <balmas at gmail.com>
has been extremely helpfu. I prefer to use URIs rather than URNs, so the
identifiers can be used for Linked Data, and the CTS URNs implement
references and citations in a manner which is familiar to the scholars,
rather than imposing a new scheme which doesn't match how scholars
already talk about the texts. This scheme should be cross-applicable
across Bible references and the others you mention.

On this same note, the work of Chris Blackwell and others in the Homer
Multitext project <Christopher.Blackwell at furman.edu> on CITE could also
be very useful, for expressing the CTS citations in a http-URI format.
The documentation is very good for explaining both CITE and CTS.

Documentation links:
CITE: http://www.homermultitext.org/hmt-doc/
(also CTS: http://cts-demo.appspot.com/demo/examples )

anna