[Humanist] 26.505 events: politics of play

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Nov 20 09:51:47 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 13:45:17 -0500
        From: Theadora Mills <politicsofplay2013 at gmail.com>
        Subject: Call for Papers: Politics of Play

*Call for Research Presentations, Workshops and Artworks.*

Intersections/Cross-Sections 2013: Politics of Play, Symposium &
Exhibition.

A Message from the Communication and Culture Graduate Students Association.

The York and Ryerson University Joint Graduate Program in Communication and
Culture is excited to announce an open call to graduate students to submit
research presentations, workshops and artworks for
Intersections/Cross-Sections 2013: Politics of Play.

This one-day Symposium and Art Exhibition will focus around the critical
examination of the concept of play, approached from a variety of
perspectives. With an interdisciplinary lens focused on intersections
between politics and play cultures, the 2013 edition of Intersections will
feature a relaxed, playful and interactive atmosphere where graduate
students can engage in dialogue about their research, present workshops and
exhibit artworks

“Play is the primary formative element in human culture” - Johan Hunzinga.

Parallel to the rise of digital game culture, scholarly investigations of
politics, economics, artistic practice, pedagogy, and media representation
have drawn from the metaphor of play.  In order to facilitate
interdisciplinary investigation, the Communication and Culture Graduate
Student Association would like to invite graduate students to submit
research presentations, workshops,  and artworks exploring the
concept.  Possible
topics include, but are not limited to, politics, art & literature,
technology, geography,  pedagogy, activism, science & nature, digital
media, entertainment, popular culture, game studies, performance, history,
linguistics, political economy, fan & participatory cultures, architecture,
sport &leisure, and more. In order to foster lively dialogue, we invite
proposals from any discipline.

Questions we will explore include but are not limited to:

How do conceptions of play change, adapt and inform social, cultural and
political practice?

How does IP regulate, sanction, and create new forms of play?

How does play articulate itself through nationalism?

Does play facilitate change through resistance cultures?

How does  play facilitate different types of learning?

Our Symposium and Exhibition will take place on March 23rd, 2013 at Bento
Miso, a collaborative workspace in Toronto's Queen West district.

Submission Guidelines: Submissions Due January 15, 2013

Artworks spanning print, new media, video, audio, games, and performance
will be considered. We encourage interactive game-oriented artworks.

Maximum Presentation Abstract Length -- 300 words.

Maximum Length for Workshop Proposals – 500 Words.

Artworks – 500 word description, plus links to video documentation and /
or maximum of 5 images.

(all artwork submissions must include the artwork submission form
found at http://intersections2013.wordpress.com)

For more information and updates on the Symposium:
http://intersections2013.wordpress.com

Please send submissions to: politicsofplay2013 at gmail.com

We look forward to an exciting symposium and exhibition and ask that you
please forward this email within your networks.

Thank you,

Theadora Mills
The Communication and Culture Graduate Students Association

*** Attachments:
    http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/Attachments/1353357721_2012-11-19_humanist-owner@lists.digitalhumanities.org_19645.3.pdf
    http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/Attachments/1353357721_2012-11-19_humanist-owner@lists.digitalhumanities.org_19645.2.pdf