[Humanist] 26.499 default online publication of dissertations

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Nov 19 07:28:59 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2012 17:34:37 +0000
        From: Daniel Allington <daniel.allington at open.ac.uk>
        Subject: Re:  26.493 default online publication of dissertations

Dear Micah

McMillan et al 2011 is a very interesting study, and I'd like to thank you for drawing our attention to it. The devil is in the detail, though, and in this case the detail would seem to support the view that - depending upon his or her publication plans - there might still be very good reasons for a student's wanting access restrictions or an embargo:

-----
Journal editors are more enthusiastic about receiving submissions based on ETDs than are university presses. Two-thirds of the journals “always welcome” submissions from ETDs, while one-tenth of the university presses do.

This is not to say the university presses discourage submissions based on ETDs. Nearly half consider ETD-based submissions on a case-by-case basis. Slightly more than one-quarter (26.8%) will consider submissions “ONLY IF the contents and conclusions in the manuscript are substantially different from the ETD.” There does not appear to be a significant relationship between the size of the enterprise and its policy or perspective on accepting manuscripts derived from ETDs.

However, university presses are about two-and-a-half times as likely to “never” accept ETD-based submissions, than are journal editors. Only university presses find access restrictions necessary.

      McMillan et al 2011, http://digitalarchive.gsu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1053&context=univ_lib_facpub

-----

That study also indicates that there are university presses that would expect access to the thesis to be restricted after publication, even if it wasn't restricted before ('Another commented: “We ask authors to stop distribution of their ETD when we agree to publish their REVISED material.”', ibid.). My understanding (possibly incorrect) of my alma mater's policy was that once my thesis was out in the open, there would be no going back. Is this allowed for in your respository's 48-month policy?

We also need to be very clear about the benefits of open access to the individual. You mention citations: thankfully, they currently count for nothing in my discipline (at least in the UK!), but in contexts where they do count, not all citations count equally. For example, it's quite common practice to derive citation counts from the Web of Science, which only indexes cross-citations within a select subset of journals and conference proceedings - not theses. Those journals may accept ETD-based submissions, of course, but there's still a potential disadvantage in that the open access thesis could begin to act as a competitor of the article, when it is the latter alone whose citations can actually add up to something. It was with this in mind that I recently emailed the author of a thesis I had read a couple of years back and which I had already cited several times, asking her if the relevant work had since appeared in a publication that she would prefer me to cite. These are complex and unpleasantly important issues.

I write this, by the way, as someone who has uploaded almost all his research publications to an institutional repository. I'm not against open access, I just don't believe we should expect the most vulnerable people in the entire system (i.e. recent PhD graduates) to be the vanguard of change - and I very much believe that the decision of whether and when to open access to a thesis should belong to its author, and to its author alone.

best wishes

Daniel