[Humanist] 26.481 should I quit

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Nov 14 08:54:00 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Daniel Allington <daniel.allington at open.ac.uk>            (10)
        Subject: Re:  26.476 should I quit

  [2]   From:    Patrick Durusau <patrick at durusau.net>                     (45)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.476 should I quit

        Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2012 09:05:12 +0000
        From: Daniel Allington <daniel.allington at open.ac.uk>

Alan's point is an important one. As in the economy as a whole, we're not seeing a lack of jobs right now so much as a lack of good jobs for people that don't already have good jobs: there are plenty of opportunities to teach a few hours here and a few hours there with no security from one semester to the next, and (at least in the UK) quite a lot of opportunities to do professor X's research for him over the next couple of years, but what good is that?

But I think it's worth remembering that the trend towards casualisation began well before the income squeeze. When there was more money around, the management priority in most universities was to invest it not in academic staff, but in fancy new buildings (and - dare I say it - extra layers of management). This means that the root cause of casualisation is not the current economic situation, and therefore that it can be opposed. At my university, the new vice chancellor for research created a procedure last year whereby temporary research staff could be made permanent - presumably because it was recognised that endlessly training new researchers and then losing them is not necessarily good for the institution's research culture.

Daniel