[Humanist] 26.478 should I quit

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Nov 13 06:06:45 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Jennifer Edmond <edmondj at tcd.ie>                         (168)
        Subject: Re:  26.476 should I quit

  [2]   From:    Francois Lachance <lachance at chass.utoronto.ca>           (191)

        Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 10:10:54 +0000
        From: Jennifer Edmond <edmondj at tcd.ie>

Dear Alexander,

One final word on this, as I have clearly failed in my attempt to encourage
you, then I will say no more.

Of course you feel disheartened.  But you seem to assume I never did, and
that I never had any contact with any of the arrogant jerks you mention.  I
would wager every reader of Humanist has done so: I certainly did, and I
do, and believe you me, there are certain things I know my institution only
asks me to do with hesitation.  Water, Back, Duck: their loss, not mine.

I did stagger through my PhD, I did put my heart and soul into it, and I
was tacitly told, through MLA interview after MLA interview that I was not
'good' enough (though later experience on the other side of the table tells
me that 'good' really isn't the right term: 'right' is a more suitable one,
as you can have one job to offer and 50 applications still in the pile when
the 'non-good' ones have been winnowed out.  It ain't always fun to be in
that position, either, and the exhaustion of dealing with 80 hungry
qualified applicants is one you might think a bit about.  It's no excuse
for arrogance, but with the best will in the world, it can make you cranky).

If I was in the right place at the right time, that place has spanned three
countries (and that is assuming you consider rural Kentucky and Connecticut
the same place) and a number of institutions.  And I certainly don't aim to
be self-congratulatory, merely encouraging, from a position of (I am
guessing) about 15 years further along the career ladder.

Lastly, as a good Irish patriot (albeit with American accent) I can assure
this is not a UK-based opinion.  Erin go bragh! :-)

Jennifer

--
Dr Jennifer Edmond
Director of Strategic Projects