[Humanist] 26.476 should I quit

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Nov 12 10:07:30 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Alexander Hay <alexander.hay at gmail.com>                  (172)
        Subject: Re:  26.475 should I quit

  [2]   From:    Alan Corre <corre at uwm.edu>                                 (3)
        Subject: Quitting?

  [3]   From:    James Rovira <jamesrovira at gmail.com>                      (26)

        Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 10:13:56 +0000
        From: Alexander Hay <alexander.hay at gmail.com>

Jennifer,

I don't feel 'entitled' to anything. It's just that after so many false
dawns, cul de sacs, dead certs that turned out to be sclerotic pit ponies,
the luck of the draw and the rather arrogant, condescending attitude of
some (not all) academics I've run into (yes, I know it's an employer's job
market - but there's no need to be such a jackass about it, though), I feel
utterly disheartened.

I know I'm not the only post-doc with the scars to prove they staggered
through their PhD, but I think you forget that when you put your heart and
soul into something, quixotic though it may be, it really hurts to keep
being told you're not good enough.

I also get the impression you were simply in the right place at the right
time, so your self-congratulatory tone isn't particularly helpful. That's
the problem with a lot of people in Britain these days - they consider
their success well-earned, when in fact it is down more to random twists
and turns.

- Alexander