[Humanist] 26.475 should I quit

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Nov 11 10:53:22 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Jennifer Edmond <jedmond36 at gmail.com>                     (49)
        Subject: Re:  26.473 should I quit

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (40)
        Subject: quitting?

        Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 15:47:07 +0000
        From: Jennifer Edmond <jedmond36 at gmail.com>

Dear Alexander,

No degree is anything more than the cumulative experience of the years you spend earning it. It doesn't entitle you to anything - indeed you might see yourself privileged (as i do) to have spent 5 years developing your own competences, while others get caught up at an earlier career point serving the goals of others.

I often joke that the only thing I am actually 'qualified' to do is explain movies (or German novels, but I get less call for that). But I have turned this experience of understanding text and subtext into a large number of truly enjoyable paid positions, from DH support person to research strategist, from Institute director to research project PI.  I miss wearing my academic robes, but otherwise I wouldn't change a thing about my unorthodox path post PhD, which I chose only because the traditional options before me were, as yours are, asking too high a price for what they offered.

Humanist doesn't seem quite the place for this kind of platitude, but what the hey: life is what you make it.

Jennifer Edmond
Director of Strategic Projects
Trinity College Dublin

Sent from my iPhone