[Humanist] 26.473 should I quit

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Nov 10 09:56:16 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2012 13:41:46 +0000
        From: Alexander Hay <alexander.hay at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  26.158 should I quit

Something of an update. Having asked about one job I wanted to apply for, I
was told I needed a monograph published. I asked if the very long journal
article I had written might count. No.

Since this is one of only a few non-Oxbridge fellowships being advertised,
I really have no chance of getting a job.

Now, I'm presently working full time (and not as an academic) so it's
rather hard to get down to the British Library to do research for a piece
someone will probably rubbish anyway.

Yes, this is a whinge, but I feel entitled to one. Or getting back the five
years I put into getting the white elephant qualification I have.

Remind me again of how hard it is to get into academia. I'm minded to flog
my PhD certificate on Ebay - it might be worth something that way.