[Humanist] 26.48 immersive technologies in the humanities?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue May 29 22:40:28 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 06:38:42 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: immersive technologies in humanities research?

Does anyone here know of research into the use of immersive technologies
in the construction of research environments for the humanities or
social sciences? I am particularly interested in demands that specific
humanities research would have, or has had, on the technologies involved.

For the sense of "immersive" that I am using here, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immersion_(virtual_reality). This article
states that immersive VR is "a hypothetical future technology", but at
least one research project at the University of Western Sydney, the Uruk
Project, http://www-staff.it.uts.edu.au/~anton/Research/Uruk_Project/,
would appear to qualify as being in the here-and-now.

I'd also be very interested in assessments of the potential for the
humanities and social sciences. Note that I am *not* asking about
non-immersive VR, which would seem to me on the wrong side of a crucial
threshold. How could VR live up to the name if the technology isn't
sufficient to push you over that threshold? But others here will know
far more about these matters than I do, so please comment.

Comments?

(www.isr-journal.org); Editor, Humanist