[Humanist] 26.41 disciplinary paranoia; the taxonomy

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu May 24 22:38:56 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Wendell Piez <wapiez at mulberrytech.com>                    (63)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.17 the taxonomy; preservation

  [2]   From:    Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>                        (70)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.40 disciplinary paranoia?

        Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 18:22:14 -0400
        From: Wendell Piez <wapiez at mulberrytech.com>

Dear Willard,

I cannot answer your question whether we have taken the next step. I
dare say the answer could go either way: there are too many unanswered
questions implicit in it.

However, I think it is worth noting a certain bias, if not in the
question as stated, then at least in the way it is likely to be taken.
By "computing", do we mean only what happens in and by the computer as
such? Operations effected by means of algorithms applied to digital
data? If so, I am afraid that nothing the computer does will be
transformative, since it is by definition only more of the same.
Organization, specification, automation, system: this is only industrial
civilization, which we thought was going to be our servant -- back when
the industrialist's fondest hope was that his child should become a
Professor of Literature, and not the other way around -- but which
becomes, increasingly, our governor as well as our dependent. I don't
need to tell you about this.

But if "computing" includes not only the things we have these machines
do on our behalf, but those we do with them, then yes, I think the
corner has been turned. Recently on this list we saw Joshua Day's iPad
app "Attikos" recommended. It promises to give the poor reader of
Ancient Greek access to the grammar books and dictionaries with the
touch of a finger. Now, I don't know whether I will be able to improve
my Greek significantly with its help: it doesn't give me any Sitzfleisch
I don't already have. (It will probably be the weekend before I can try
it: I am far too busy to do anything really important.) Yet maybe all
that wearying turning of pages, and the resistance it inevitably brings,
will be mitigated; the flicker of curiosity that brings me to Homer or
Plato may have more of a chance to catch something. And even a modest
incremental improvement in the chances that a young scholar can make
headway through a reading of the Apology of Socrates may have
repercussions we cannot calculate.

Which leads me to the next thing: networking. One of the reasons things
today, as you recently remarked, are going so incredibly far beyond what
we could have imagined or hoped for ten years ago is that we are
profiting from synergies. (I don't know why you had any doubts about
this, while you have been so diligently fostering them: I certainly
haven't!) So easily we think our efforts are isolated, but they have not
been. Little bands of the like-minded: researchers, developers,
creators, users -- pioneers and visionaries, any one of whom may have
been disappointed (we see so far beyond what we can reach) and yet all
of whom have figured out bits of this and that, made connections, or
done only the most crucial thing: added an impulse, a motive. The
network -- this medium -- has been the arena in which we have played. Is
this "computing"?

So I want and expect to see the next version of Attikos -- or someone
else will do it -- expose its data format and document its semantics and
APIs, so that digital humanists can load it with texts prepared for use
by ourselves and for each other. But I don't have to worry about this
either, or the similar resources (aimed at all levels) for the learning
of Sanskrit or Classical Chinese poetry or musical composition, which we
will be seeing in all kinds of media, electronic and otherwise. It is
all inevitable.

Best regards,
Wendell

Wendell Piez                            mailto:wapiez at mulberrytech.com