[Humanist] 26.35 events: literary studies; Decoding Digital Humanities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon May 21 22:19:20 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Ryan Cordell <rccordell at gmail.com>                        (52)
        Subject: NEMLA CFP: The Literary Interventions of the Digital
                Humanities, A Pecha Kucha Roundtable

  [2]   From:    Richard Lewis <richard.lewis at GOLD.AC.UK>                  (25)
        Subject: DDH London Meeting 30 May

        Date: Mon, 21 May 2012 08:12:05 -0500
        From: Ryan Cordell <rccordell at gmail.com>
        Subject: NEMLA CFP: The Literary Interventions of the Digital Humanities, A Pecha Kucha Roundtable

Dear Humanist Colleagues:

I hope the CFP below will interest some of you interested in attending
NEMLA in Boston next March. Abstracts are due by September 30, but I
hoped to generate interest before folks disperse for the summer. The CFP
is also listed here: http://nemla.org/convention/2013/cfp_american.html.
Please note: the session has already been accepted to the conference, so
accepted papers will be included in the program.

Best,
Ryan Cordell

The Literary Interventions of the Digital Humanities: A Pecha Kucha
Roundtable

     Digital humanists often tout their work as transformative to
literary scholarship. Textual encoding, text mining, corpora analysis,
and geospatial analysis all promise to shift our understanding of
literary texts, historical periods, and cultural phenomena. Digital
Humanities (DH) is certainly, as Stephen Ramsay recently quipped, the
"hot thing." DH panels multiplied at the 2009, 2011, and 2012 MLA
Conventions, and they received significant coverage in The Chronicle of
Higher Education and Inside Higher Ed each year. More English
Departments are hiring digital humanists; digital humanities centers
multiply across a range of institutions.

     Nevertheless, DH scholarship has not significantly influenced the
vast body of literary scholarship. Few "traditional" scholars cite
digital work as evidence for their claims; few DH articles appear in
prominent literary journals. There's little conversation between the
many DH panels at MLA and the many, many panels entirely unaffected by
the digital humanities revolution. DH self-consciously fosters a
"big-tent" philosophy of inclusion, but scholars outside of the big tent
often see DH, rightly or wrongly, as a separate entity: a roped-off area
even within disciplinary conferences like MLA.

     This roundtable aims to encourage dialogue between camps. The
Digital Americanist Society seeks speakers who will---through the
abbreviated, energetic Pecha Kucha presentation style---articulate a
clear, interpretive intervention that digital scholarship has made (or
could make) in their areas of study. Our goal will not be to describe
the features, interface, or technologies of digital projects, but
instead to demonstrate how those projects advance, supplement, or
disrupt the scholarly conversations of our respective literary
subfields. To that end, we encourage "non-DH" scholars whose work has
benefited from DH scholarship to contribute; we welcome a diverse panel
that exemplifies the dialogue we hope to champion.

     This roundtable will employ the dynamic Pecha Kucha presentation
style. Panelists will each present using 20 slides that auto-advance
every 20 seconds. Each talk, then, will last for 6 minutes and 40
seconds. The organizers will communicate extensively with accepted
panelists before the conference to familiarize them with the Pecha Kucha
format. We hope to organize a roundtable of 5-6 speakers, which means
the formal presentations will take less than 45 minutes. This plan will
leave ample time for conversation among the panelists, the moderator,
and the audience.

Submit abstracts to Ryan Cordell, Northeastern University,
rccordell at gmail.com, by September 30, 2012.