[Humanist] 26.17 the taxonomy; preservation

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun May 13 22:30:48 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (44)
        Subject: the taxonomy

  [2]   From:    Andrew Prescott <andrew.prescott at kcl.ac.uk>              (128)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.930 bit rot & preservation

        Date: Sun, 13 May 2012 07:00:44 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

In asking about the taxonomy that I sketched, my intention was to
highlight the mostly one-way traffic, from the technologies of computing
to the humanities, that seems to dominate our discussions, thoughts and
work. Recently I have been provoked to think about the degree to which
the digital humanities is what the term implies, one of the disciplines
of the humanities concerned with digital methods and tools. If all that
it amounts to de facto is analogous to what an engineering firm does
when it builds a standard bridge, then "humanities" doesn't belong in
the name of it. Nor does "humanities" belong if all our more theoretically
inclined colleagues do is to study the *impact* of the machine without
for a moment questioning the whole idea of an impact. As John Law and
John Whittaker wrote in 1986, in the Proceedings of the third ACM-SOGOIS
conference on Office Automation Systems, "the PC is not a projectile"
(pp. 21-32, in the ACM Digital Library). The strong effects of the
technologies we unleash are of course in need of study. But great
programmes of innovation such as are now being funded are in danger
of getting nowhere, or worse, if no one simultaneously asks what human
needs and desires correspond and, for us especially, which are going
unwatered and unloved.

I always have ringing in my ears the passionate
awakening call of Louis Milic, "The next step", which appeared as the
first article in the first issue of the first journal in our field,
Computers and the Humanities, 1.1 (1966). He spoke of a great
imaginative failure on the part of the implementers of the time. They
were largely taking "the computer" (as if it were one fixed thing) as
an impactful force and then shaping their research accordingly.
What are we desiring?

I would like to hear that we've taken the next step Milic contemplated.
Have we?

I attach here below the text of Milic's article (without the notes) for the
benefit of anyone sufficiently exercised about the quality of our form
of life to take the measure of it.

Comments?

*** Attachments:
    http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/Attachments/1336856451_2012-05-12_willard.mccarty@mccarty.org.uk_3314.1.txt
London; Professor, University of Western Sydney; Editor,
Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,