[Humanist] 26.13 a taxonomy, with a question (or so)

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri May 11 20:56:35 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 12 May 2012 04:51:57 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: a taxonomy, with a question

Allow me, if you will, to run by you a rough taxonomy of work in the
digital humanities and ask for your comments.

By this taxonomy there are three kinds of work for which we as a
whole bear responsibility:

1. Development of computational tools and techniques to assist
scholarship in the humanities and interpretative social sciences;

2. Study of the effects and implications coming from the use of these
tools and techniques;

3. Imagining and insofar as possible articulating new computings from
kinds of research not yet possible.

The first of these is the bread-and-butter activity of many of us. We
make things from developers' tools or figure out ingenious ways of using
off-the-shelf software and then either apply these things and techniques
to our own research or hand them over to colleagues less capable or
inclined to do the technical work. Basic, fundamental stuff, but nothing
really new here. This activity is to the digital humanities as almost
all engineering is to the industries that keep civilisations running.

The second is social-scientific, historical and/or philosophical in
character. It is also basic and easily understood, though doing it well
is not easy, of course. Built into so much of it, however, is the
deterministic assumption that Technology, like some great force of
nature demanding to be anthropomorphised, comes at our lives with
benefits, requirements and threats it would be utterly foolish to
ignore. We had better learn to deal with it -- and fast -- lest we be
overcome or left in the dust etc etc. (I realise that I am caricaturing
an attitude somewhat, but I do so in order to call to the surface a
state of mind that historically keeps surfacing at moments of stress or
superabundance of techno-scientific triumphalism.)

The third is, as a colleague remarked recently, the frontier. It goes
back to the plasticity of Turing's scheme, before hardware was
structured by von Neumann's architecture (based in turn on
neurophysiological ideas of the early 1940s) and in due course turned
into the machines we now have. Bravo, well done and so on, but not far
enough to keep pace with restless imagination! It asks, as few (but
some) have done, what would a computing be like that was suitable to
what we imagine actually happens, e.g. when we read, or write, or look
at a painting, or paint one, or listen to music, or play it, or compose
it? For if we had such a computing, or computings, would they not serve
scholarship better?

In other words, almost all of what we do is like what most automotive
engineers do -- take a given (four wheels, engine, drive-train, steering
wheel on the right or left-hand side etc) and do it one slightly better.
But what about the engineering that rethinks the whole idea of a
vehicle, that goes beyond even what now could be done if only
conservative management and the even more conservative public would pay
attention and consider it? (I know a brilliant automotive engineer who
has the wildest and most interesting ideas, which we consider as we are
driving along in a car that "knows" so much about what's going on, and
does so much about what it knows, that I am amazed even at the now
quietly commonplace.)

Comments?

London; Professor, University of Western Sydney; Editor,
Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,