[Humanist] 26.12 events: Digital Humanities Forum & cfp

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu May 10 22:55:31 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 12:10:55 -0500
        From: Brian Rosenblum <brianlee at ku.edu>
        Subject: KU DIGITAL HUMANITIES FORUM and CALL FOR PAPERS (Big Data/Uncertainty)

The Institute for Digital Research in the Humanities at the University
of Kansas is pleased to announce our Fall 2012 Digital Humanities
Forum, September 20-22, 2012. The Forum consists of three separate but
related programs held over three days:

* Day One (Thursday, September 20): WORKSHOPS
A set of in-depth, hands on workshops on digital humanities tools
topics, such as GIS, data visualization, text markup and annotation,
and creating online digital exhibits.

* Day Two (Friday, September 21): THATCamp KANSAS
An "unconference" for technologists and humanists, with conversations
about topics defined on-site by the participants.

* Day Three (Saturday, September 22): BIG DATA AND UNCERTAINTY IN THE HUMANITIES
A one-day program of panels and poster sessions showcasing digital
humanities projects and research. ***See Call for Papers below.***

Plenary speakers at the Forum include

* Gregory Crane, Editor-in-Chief, Perseus Digital Library
* Kari Kraus, Assistant Professor, College of Information Studies and
the Department of English at the University of Maryland
* Geoffrey Rockwell, Professor of Philosophy and Humanities Computing
at the University of Alberta, Canada

We invite you to attend any or all of the three events. There is no
registration fee to participate; however, space is limited, especially
for the BootCamp Workshops and THATCamp. Registration opens June 15.

See  http://idrh.ku.edu/dh-forum-2012  for information as schedules,
lodging arrangements, and other details are finalized.

***

CALL FOR PAPERS

BIG DATA AND UNCERTAINTY IN THE HUMANITIES
September 22, 2012,
University of Kansas

This conference (part of our three-day Digital Humanities Forum) seeks
to address the opportunities and challenges humanistic scholars face
with the ubiquity and exponential growth of new web-based data sources
(e.g. electronic texts, social media, and audiovisual materials) and
digital methods (e.g. information visualization, text markup,
crowdsourcing metadata).

"Big data" is any dataset that is too large to be analyzable with
traditional means (whether e.g. manual close readings or database
queries). Developments in cloud computing, data management, and
analytics mean that humanists and allied scholars can analyze and
visualize larger patterns in big data sets. With these opportunities
come the challenges of scale and interpretation; we have moved from
the uncertainty resulting from having too little data to the
uncertainty implicit in large amounts of data.

What does this mean for how humanists structure, query, analyze and
visualize data? How does this change the questions we ask and the
interpretations we assign? How do we combine the best of a macro
(larger-pattern) and a micro (close reading) approach? And how is
interpretative and other uncertainty modeled?

Presentations addressing these both practical and epistemological
questions are welcome.

Proposal submission information:
Presentations may be one of two types: (1) 20 minute paper or
demonstration; (2) poster. For all presentations, a 500 word abstract
is required. Please indicate whether you are proposing a paper
presentation or poster session. Proposals for papers not accepted in
the oral sessions may be accommodated in the poster session. Deadline
for proposal submissions: June 30.

Proposal submission opens on May 11. To submit a proposal, please see:
 http://linguistlist.org/confcustom/customhome.cfm?Emeetingid=4702JA4458B6545A40A050441

See  http://idrh.ku.edu/dh-forum-2012  for information as schedules,
lodging arrangements, and other details are finalized.

Brian Rosenblum and Arienne Dwyer
Co-Directors, Institute for Digital Research in the Humanities
University of Kansas
idrh at ku.edu
http://idrh.ku.edu