[Humanist] 25.925 MLA's bibliographic view

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue May 1 07:40:27 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Kathleen Fitzpatrick <kfitz47 at gmail.com>                  (31)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.924 MLA's bibliographic view

  [2]   From:    EJardine at mla.org                                          (18)
        Subject: 25.924 MLA's bibliographic view

        Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 08:28:40 -0400
        From: Kathleen Fitzpatrick <kfitz47 at gmail.com>

Dear Willard,

I'd want someone other than me to weigh in on how well the MLA has been
tracking the field; I have a fairly obvious interest in the answer. That
said, through the new office of scholarly communication, the Committee on
Information Technology, the annual convention, and the *MLA International
Bibliography*, we have produced a number of new initiatives that
demonstrate the growing importance of the digital for the field of literary
and linguistic studies overall.

Perhaps the best way to get a snapshot of what's been going on within the
association and among its members would be to take a look at the compiled
lists of digital humanities sessions at the annual convention, produced for
the last several years by Mark Sample: see 2012 (http://www.samplereality.com/2011/10/04/digital-humanities-sessions-at-the-2012-mla-conference-in-seattle/),
2011 (http://www.samplereality.com/2010/11/09/digital-humanities-sessions-at-the-2011-mla/),
and 2009 (http://www.samplereality.com/2009/11/15/digital-humanities-sessions-at-the-2009-mla/).
[There was no convention in 2010, an anomaly produced by the change from
the long-standing December dates to a January schedule.]

I'd be happy to say more about our other projects, of course, including the
revised Guidelines for Evaluating Scholarship in Digital Humanities and
Digital Media (http://www.mla.org/guidelines_evaluation_digital), the
development of MLA Commons (http://www.mla.org/news_from_mla/news_topic&topic=573), the *New Variorum
Shakespeare *Digital Challenge (http://www.mla.org/nvs_challenge). Do let
me know if there are any questions that I can address.

All best,
Kathleen

--
Kathleen Fitzpatrick | Director of Scholarly Communication
Modern Language Association | mla.org | @kfitz