[Humanist] 25.852 events: New Directions in the Humanities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Mar 27 07:14:37 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2012 08:58:03 +0900
        From: Charles Muller <acmuller at l.u-tokyo.ac.jp>
        Subject: New Directions in the Humanities, 14-16 June 2012

Dear Colleague,

On behalf of the international Advisory Board, we would like to inform you
of the:

TENTH INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE ON NEW DIRECTIONS IN THE HUMANITIES
Centre-Mont Royal, Montreal, Canada 14-16 June 2012
http://www.TheHumanities.com/Conference/

We are pleased to announce the Call-for-Papers for the Tenth International
Conference on New Directions in the Humanities. The conference and its
companion journal provide vibrant, intellectually stimulating spaces for
scholars from all geographic and disciplinary areas to learn, converse, and
create. The aim is to generate new knowledge about the nature of the
humanities, building strongly on the past traditions of the humanities while
setting a renewed agenda for the future.

Plenary speakers, who will address our special theme 'Looking Forward:
Humanities for the Future', include:

* Diana Brydon - Canada Research Chair in Globalization and Cultural
Studies; Director of the Research Centre for Globalization and Cultural
Studies, University of Manitoba, Winnipeg, Canada

* Jean-Claude Guedon, Department of Comparative Literature, University of
Montreal, Montreal, Canada

* Donna Palmateer Pennee - Dean, Faculty of Arts and Humanities, University
of Western Ontario (Western University), London, Canada

* Stefan Sinclair, Digital Humanities, McGill University, Montreal, Canada

The Humanities Conference is held annually in different locations around the
world. Over the past nine years, the Humanities Conference has established a
reputation as a focal point for new ideas and new practices in humanities
research and teaching. The conference was held at the Universidad de
Granada, Spain in 2011; at the University of California, Los Angeles, USA in
2010; in Beijing, China in 2009; at the Fatih University, Istanbul, Turkey
in 2008; at the American University of Paris in 2007; at the University of
Carthage in Tunis in 2006; at Cambridge University in the UK in 2005; at the
Monash University Centre in Prato, Italy in 2004; and at the University of
the Aegean in Rhodes, Greece in 2003.

In addition to plenary speakers, the conference will also include numerous
paper, workshop and colloquium presentations by practitioners, teachers and
researchers. We invite you to respond to the conference Call-for-Papers.
Presenters may choose to submit written papers for publication in The
International Journal of the Humanities. If you are unable to attend the
conference in person, virtual registrations are also available, which allow
you to submit a paper for refereeing and possible publication in the
journal.

Whether you are a virtual or in-person presenter at this conference, we also
encourage you to present on the Humanities YouTube playlist. Please select
the Online Sessions link on the conference website for further details.
Additionally, please join our online conversation by subscribing to our
monthly email newsletter and subscribing to our Facebook, RSS, or Twitter
feeds at http://www.TheHumanities.com/ .

The deadline for the next round in the call for papers (a title and short
abstract) is 5 April 2012. Future deadlines will be announced on the
conference website after this date. Proposals are reviewed within two weeks
of submission. Full details of the conference, including an online proposal
submission form, may be found on the conference website at
http://www.TheHumanities.com/Conference/ . Submissions are also open for
Spanish language proposals and presentations.

We look forward to receiving your proposal and hope you will be able to join
us in Montreal this June.

Yours Sincerely,

Tom Nairn
Globalism Institute, RMIT University
Melbourne, Australia

For the Advisory Board, International Conference on New Directions
in the Humanities and International Journal of the Humanities

Costica Bradatan, PhD
Assistant Professor

Texas Tech University
The Honors College