[Humanist] 25.827 self-evident

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Mar 19 07:46:51 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 17 Mar 2012 11:12:55 +0100
        From: maurizio lana <maurizio.lana at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.824 what is self-evident?

Il 17/03/2012 10:08, Humanist Discussion Group ha scritto:
> I want to ask what it is that we take for granted, in the strong sense
> of an unconscious belief of the sort that a person who has never
> experienced an earthquake makes about the earth we stand on. Since we
> use a techno-scientific instrument for our research, I want to ask
> about the scientific cultural ground we as digital humanists imagine
> solid.
> [...]
these are the messages which constitute, for me, the main value of
Humanist. no flattening at all, but simple parrhesia.

> What specifically in our work in the digital humanities do we take as
> self-evidently true?
behind texts there are people, near or remote in time and space, and
studying texts we get in touch with them, we can ask them and they
answer to us.
they can't protect themselves from inappropriate questions and from
'forced answers', so we are responsible towards them.
maurizio

--
mio fratello, con lui ho corso
-------