[Humanist] 25.818 future of workstations? ethnographic/qualitative research online?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Mar 15 07:28:26 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Simon Moreton <S.R.Moreton at exeter.ac.uk>                  (28)
        Subject: Looking for Literature: methods for
                conductingethnographic/qualitative work online

  [2]   From:    Geoffrey Rockwell <grockwel at ualberta.ca>                   (5)
        Subject: Imagining the Future of the Scholar's Workstation

        Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2012 08:54:47 +0000
        From: Simon Moreton <S.R.Moreton at exeter.ac.uk>
        Subject: Looking for Literature: methods for conductingethnographic/qualitative work online

Dear all,

Apologies for cross posting.

We are currently searching for literature that considers methods for
conducting ethnographic/qualitative work online. This includes work on
ethics, approaches, methodological issues and examples of work that
engages with online communities, such as chatrooms or discussion fora,
and social media platforms such as Facebook. If anyone on this list
could recommend any work on this topic we would be most grateful.

The review is for an AHRC-funded Connecting Communities Scoping Study
entitled 'Crafting communities: connecting 'online' and 'offline' making
practices'. The remit of the project is to conduct a literature review
and fieldwork to explore the relationship between everyday creative
practices and the use of digital technologies among craft practitioners.
It also interrogates experiences of connectivity, and how
(dis)connection affects the contours and experiences of everyday life.

We will compile and circulate a bibliography in due course. Any
suggestions greatly appreciated!

Best wishes

Dr Simon Moreton, Dr Nicola Thomas, Dr Roberta Comunian, Dr Caroline
Chapain.

--
Dr Simon Moreton

Associate Research Fellow
School of Geography
College of Life&  Environmental Sciences
University of Exeter
EX4 4RJ

http://geography.exeter.ac.uk/