[Humanist] 25.817 events: performing arts; data modelling; CLARIN/DARIAH

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Mar 14 09:20:55 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Christiane Fritze <christiane.fritze at sub.uni-             (50)
                goettingen.de>
        Subject: CfP: DH2012 Joint CLARIN/DARIAH-Workshop

  [2]   From:    Doug Reside <dougreside at gmail.com>                        (49)
        Subject: CFP: Digital Humanities and the Performing Arts

  [3]   From:    Julia Flanders <julia_flanders at brown.edu>                 (35)
        Subject: Workshop on data modeling in the humanities: join the
                virtual audience

        Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:24:59 +0100
        From: Christiane Fritze <christiane.fritze at sub.uni-goettingen.de>

Apologies for Cross Posting

Call for Papers

*Service‐oriented Architectures (SOAs) for the Humanities: Solutions and Impacts*

Joint CLARIN-D/DARIAH Workshop at Digital Humanities Conference 2012

Motivation
--------------
Large research infrastructure projects in the Humanities and Social Sciences such as Bamboo, CLARIN, DARIAH, eAqua, Metanet and Panacea increasingly offer their resources and tools as web applications or web services via the internet. Such web‐based access has a number of crucial advantages over traditional means of service provision via downloadable resources or desktop applications. Since web applications can be invoked from any browser, downloading, installation, and configuration of individual tools on the user's local computer is avoided.
The paradigm of service‐oriented architectures (SOA) is often used as a possible architecture for bundling web applications and web services. While the use of web services and SOAs is quickly gaining in popularity, there are still a number of open technology and research questions which await more principal answers. The purpose of this joint CLARIN/DARIAH workshop is to provide a forum to address these issues.

We especially encourage submissions on one or more of the following topics: integration of multimodal resources, standardization of workflows and data formats, interactivity and collaborative research in a SOA, impacts of emerging web technologies on future SOAs, the pros and cons of web-based versus desktop applications.

Submission Details
--------------------------
Submitted abstracts of papers for oral or demo presentations should consist of 1500-2000 words. Abstracts will be submitted electronically using the conference tool ConfTool. Further detail will be given in the second call for paper.

The accepted papers will be published as electronically available workshop proceedings.

Invited Speaker
---------------------
Eric Nyburg (Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh), title to be announced

Program Committee
---------------------------
Nuria Bel ((Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona; Projects CLARIN, MetaNet4U, PANACEA), Tobias Blanke (Centre for e‐Research, Kings College London, Project DARIAH), Travis Brown (Maryland Institute for Technology in the Humanities; Project Bamboo), Matej Durco (University of Vienna, Projects CLARIN and DARIAH), Erhard Hinrichs (Eberhard Karls University, Tübingen, Project CLARIN), Heike Neuroth (SUB, University of Göttingen, Project DARIAH), Laurent Romary (INRIA/CNRS, Project DARIAH), Eric Nyburg (Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh), Peter Wittenburg (Max Planck Institute for Psycholinguistics, Nijmegen), Martin Wynne (Oxford University, Projects CLARIN and DARIAH), Thomas Zastrow (Eberhard Karls University, Tübingen, Project CLARIN)

Workshop Organizers
------------------------------
- Erhard Hinrichs
- Heike Neuroth
- Peter Wittenburg
- Thomas Zastrow

Workshop Venue
-----------------------
http://www.dh2012.uni-hamburg.de/venue/university-of-hamburg/

Important Dates
----------------------
- April 02: Second Call for Papers
- April 15: Final Call for Papers
- April 23: *Deadline* for Submission
- May 15: Notification of Acceptance
- June 26: Deadline for Proceedings Papers
- July 16 or 17: Workshop

Workshop Homepage
http://clarin-d.de/index.php/de/news/veranstaltungen-2/workshops/104-workshopdh2012

--