[Humanist] 25.804 books in the digital humanities

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Mar 11 10:04:59 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Leif Isaksen <leifuss at googlemail.com>                     (78)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.800 books in the digital humanities

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (50)
        Subject: books *in* the digital humanities?

        Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2012 09:30:03 +0000
        From: Leif Isaksen <leifuss at googlemail.com>

Thanks all,

very much appreciated. :-)

Best

Leif

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 8:18 AM, Humanist Discussion Group

        Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2012 09:02:21 +0000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>

I am stopped from contributing to the list of books in the digital
humanities by two problems, one of them interesting. The boring one is
lack of time, which is to say, unwillingness to devote the amount of
time it would take for an adequate response. The interesting one is what
makes being adequate so demanding: where to stop? What is *not* in the
digital humanities? (Only a relatively small fraction of the books on my
shelves are in the usual sense about the digital humanities. I know if I
tried to identify which ones actually qualify I'd be bemused and
possibly never finish.)

Recently I made an attempt in the opposite direction, more or less, that
is, to compile a list that would fit on one page, circulate it and as
suggestions came in keep it to one page by deleting the least worthy
entries. Rather than a bibliography as such I aimed at starting points
for those who want to know what the digital humanities is. This is what
I came up with:

> A one-page bibliography for digital humanities
>
> The aim here is to provide branching points only. References are to be followed.
>
> Articles, books, edited collections
> Kirschenbaum, Matthew G. 2008. Mechanisms: New Media and the Forensic Imagination. Cambridge MA: MIT Press.
> McCarty, Willard. 2005. Humanities Computing. Basingstoke: Palgrave.
> McGann, Jerome, ed. 2010. Online Humanities Scholarship: The Shape of Things to Come. Houston TX: Connexions. cnx.org/content/col11199/latest/
> Schreibman, Susan, Ray Siemens and John Unsworth, eds. 2004. A Companion to Digital Humanities. Oxford: Blackwell. www.digitalhumanities.org/companion/.
> Williams, Raymond. 2003/1974. Television: Technology and Cultural Form. Ed. Ederyn Williams. London: Routledge.
>
> Journals
> Digital Humanities Quarterly (digitalhumanities.org/dhq/)
> Literary and Linguistic Computing (llc.oxfordjournals.org/)
>
> Conversations
> Humanist (www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/)
> Blogs & Twitter: google for “blogs digital humanities”; “twitter digital humanities” or substitute the name of your primary discipline. Many fellow students and scholars are eager to help. Talk to them.
>
> Guides &c
> Experiment by googling for whatever subject-area interests you, e.g. “digital history”; for courses, e.g. “digital humanities syllabus”.
>
> Organizations
> Alliance of Digital Humanities Organizations (www.digitalhumanities.org)

Apologies to those who do not find their books listed here, esp given
the fact that I put one of mine on it :-).

Would this be a valuable exercise to continue? I also made similar lists
for computational stylistics and for text-analysis.

College London; Professor (fractional), University of Western Sydney;
Editor, Interdisciplinary Science Reviews (www.isr-journal.org); Editor,