[Humanist] 25.782 CS and the disciplines

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Mar 6 08:51:14 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 17:55:00 +0100
        From: Hartmut Krech <kr538 at uni-bremen.de>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.775 CS and the disciplines

Hal Abelson's commentary, as passed along by Richard Lewis, expands the
difficult question of CS's relation to the other disciplines, not the least
by asking if it is a science by itself. Or is it magic? My heart keeps being
flooded with feelings of gratitude and joy, every time my PC is starting up
in the morning, although its OS was installed almost four years ago and has
been running ever since with few complications.

Things become more complicated, as soon as you try to translate the names in
question. Computer science would amount to Computerwissenschaft in German,
but the French have kept their language free from too many Anglicisms. I
wonder what name they may have found for the same study and practice. Not
only that, it is well understood that, in the English language, "science" is
only short for "natural science," while most other subjects of academic
study are lumped together under the general heading of the humanities or
"the arts". The German equivalent would be "Geisteswissenschaften" (notably
"Wissenschaften" or "sciences") that have variously been translated as
"sciences of the mind," mental or even moral sciences. And how does
computing relate to Poliziano's calculatoria of 1491?

Things become less complicated if they are observed and described in detail.
Then one may agree with Aristotle's definition of science as the knowledge
of the first principles and the means and ends in human practice (Met. 981 b
5). A clear definition of the subject and practices of any field of study
becomes important when the boundaries of that field are expanding or need to
be expanded, because in those cases a well defined discipline may offer
status and protection to practices as a social institution. Of course, a
minimum definition for a certain science would be anything that certain
scientists do, but that is unsatisfactory. As there are regional or cultural
differences worthy of note, I have found it necessary to speak of an
"ethnology of science" in 2000. Any rational undertaking should be
communicable.

Sometimes a beginning is made by simply noting and stating a problem. How
much more if you could harvest the results of thirty years of research .

Hartmut
http://ww3.de/krech