[Humanist] 26.102 events: Fall 2012 Digital Humanities Forum at Kansas

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jun 20 22:25:42 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2012 10:41:59 -0500
        From: Brian Rosenblum <brianlee at ku.edu>
        Subject: Registration now open for Fall 2012 DH Forum at University of Kansas

Registration for the Fall 2012 Digital Humanities Forum at the University
of Kansas is now open. The Forum includes hands-on workshops, a THATCamp,
and a day of panels and presentations on the theme of Big Data and
Uncertainty in the Humanities. Three fantastic invited speakers will also
be presenting: Greg Crane, Kari Kraus, and Geoffrey Rockwell. There is no
registration fee to participate, but space is limited, especially for the
hands-on workshops and THATCamp.

Also, we encourage anyone interested to submit a proposal to present a
paper or panel session for the day three program on the theme of Big Data
and Uncertainty in the Humanities. We are continuing to accept proposals
through June 30.

Please see below or visit  http://idrh.ku.edu/dh-forum-2012
 http://idrh.ku.edu/dh-forum-2012/ for further details.

-------------------------

The Institute for Digital Research in the Humanities at the University of
Kansas is pleased to announce our Fall 2012 Digital Humanities Forum,
September 20-22, 2012. The Forum consists of three separate but related
programs held over three days:

* Day One (Thursday, September 20): WORKSHOPS A set of in-depth, hands on
workshops on digital humanities tools topics, such as GIS, data
visualization, text markup and annotation, and creating online digital
exhibits.

* Day Two (Friday, September 21): THATCamp KANSAS An "unconference" for
technologists and humanists, with conversations about topics defined
on-site by the participants.

 * Day Three (Saturday, September 22): BIG DATA AND UNCERTAINTY IN THE
HUMANITIES A one-day program of panels and poster sessions showcasing
digital humanities projects and research. ***See Call for Papers below.***

Plenary speakers at the Forum include

* Gregory Crane, Editor-in-Chief, Perseus Digital Library
* Kari Kraus, Assistant Professor, College of Information Studies and the
Department of English at the University of Maryland
* Geoffrey Rockwell, Professor of Philosophy and Humanities Computing at
the University of Alberta, Canada

See  http://idrh.ku.edu/dh-forum-2012  for registration information, and
for schedules, lodging arrangements, and other details as they are
finalized.

***

CALL FOR PAPERS

BIG DATA AND UNCERTAINTY IN THE HUMANITIES September 22, 2012, University
of Kansas

This conference (part of our three-day Digital Humanities Forum) seeks to
address the opportunities and challenges humanistic scholars face with the
ubiquity and exponential growth of new web-based data sources (e.g.
electronic texts, social media, and audiovisual materials) and digital
methods (e.g. information visualization, text markup, crowdsourcing
metadata).

"Big data" is any dataset that is too large to be analyzable with
traditional means (whether e.g. manual close readings or database queries).
Developments in cloud computing, data management, and analytics mean that
humanists and allied scholars can analyze and visualize larger patterns in
big data sets. With these opportunities come the challenges of scale and
interpretation; we have moved from the uncertainty resulting from having
too little data to the uncertainty implicit in large amounts of data.

What does this mean for how humanists structure, query, analyze and
visualize data? How does this change the questions we ask and the
interpretations we assign? How do we combine the best of a macro
(larger-pattern) and a micro (close reading) approach? And how is
interpretative and other uncertainty modeled?

Presentations addressing these both practical and epistemological questions
are welcome.

Proposal submission information: Presentations may be one of two types: (1)
20 minute paper or demonstration; (2) poster. For all presentations, a 500
word abstract is required. Please indicate whether you are proposing a
paper presentation or poster session. Proposals for papers not accepted in
the oral sessions may be accommodated in the poster session. Deadline for
proposal submissions: June 30.

To submit a proposal, please see:  http://idrh.ku.edu/dh-forum-2012 .

Brian Rosenblum and Arienne Dwyer
Co-Directors, Institute for Digital Research in the Humanities
University of Kansas
idrh at ku.edu
http://idrh.ku.edu