[Humanist] 26.99 events: destroying heritage

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jun 19 22:57:27 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 15:44:27 +0100
        From: "Bodard, Gabriel" <gabriel.bodard at kcl.ac.uk>
        Subject: Digital Classicist seminar: Cultural Heritage Destruction

Digital Classicist & Institute of Classical Studies Seminar 2012

Friday June 22nd at 16:30
Room G37, Senate House, Malet Street, London, WC1E 7HU

Alejandro Giacometti, Lindsay MacDonald (UCL) & Alberto Campagnolo
(University of the Arts)
Cultural Heritage Destruction: Documenting Parchment Degradation via
Multispectral Imaging

ALL WELCOME

In this seminar we describe the methodology and present preliminary
results of a project using multispectral imaging to document the
deterioration of parchment. A series of treatments has been applied to
degrade samples from a deaccessioned manuscript using both physical and
chemical agents. Each sample has been photographed before and after the
treatment by a multispectral imaging system to record the effect of the
treatments on both the writing and the parchment. We present the initial
imaging of the samples, details on their treatment agents and how they
affect the writing and parchment, the final imaging, and some image
processing analysis.

The seminar will be followed by wine and refreshments.

For more information please contact Gabriel.Bodard at kcl.ac.uk,
Stuart.Dunn at kcl.ac.uk, S.Mahony at ucl.ac.uk, or see the seminar website at
http://www.digitalclassicist.org/wip/wip2012.html

--
Dr Gabriel BODARD
(Research Associate in Digital Epigraphy)

Department of Digital Humanities
King's College London
26-29 Drury Lane
London WC2B 5RL