[Humanist] 26.98 aesthetic computing

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jun 19 22:55:32 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2012 08:56:42 -0400
        From: "Dr. Robert Delius Royar PhD" <r.royar at moreheadstate.edu>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.95 aesthetic computing

I recalled while reading this thread Donald Knuth's *Literate Programming* (1992). I wondered whether there was a connection between LP and aesthetic computing. Based on some of the discussion about elegance and computer programs, perhaps aesthetic computing and literate computing are related. The Wikipedia article on LP lists one recent journal article from January 2012 in the *Journal of Statistical Software that, because of its discussion of Emacs as an LP environment, grabbed my attention: Schulte, E., Davison, D., Dye, T. & Dominik, C. (January 2012). A multi-language computing environment for literate programming and reproducible research. *Journal of Statistical Software*. 46(3). http://www.jstatsoft.org/v46/i03

rdr

--
 Dr. Robert Delius Royar PhD, Associate Professor of English
 Morehead State University         r.royar at moreheadstate.edu