[Humanist] 26.89 data mining

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jun 14 22:17:02 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:59:34 -0500
        From: amsler at cs.utexas.edu
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.86 data mining?

It strikes me that this is not so much a definition of data mining as
a description of some methods employed to perform data mining.

It is roughly the same as saying "By gold mining, I mean the use of an
industrial scale facility for crushing truck-loads of gold ore and
using a water sluice to separate the crushed rock from the gold
granules" vs.
"By gold mining, I mean the use of a panning tool kit by an indiviual
miner wading in a brook of water running downstream".