[Humanist] 26.64 when the subject enters in

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jun 6 22:38:23 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2012 22:53:22 +0100
        From: Henry Francis Lynam <lynamhf at tcd.ie>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.63 when does the subject enter in?

Dear Willard,

As a programmer looking in on the world of digital humanities, the
popularity of certain models has often struck me as noteworthy. I wonder is
this because the class of problems are very similar and hence the same
formal methods have great applicability? But I suspect it is more because
of the training followed by digital humanists who tend to be humanists
firsts and programmers second. A good programmer approaches each problem as
essentially unique and applies known methodologies as appropriate. But
there is a tendency in digital humanities to employ formal (learned)
methods too early in the process, potentially robbing the problem of its
uniqueness. Rather than seeing the application of the same formal methods
as a strength of digital humanities, I might suggest that it hinders
innovation, by prematurely categorizing problems into known methodologies.

So, in answer to your question, I think the subject-specific knowledge is
often the bit that remains after the problem has been artificially
determined to be of type X, suitable for method Y. If a different designer
were to solve the problem (perhaps with different formal training) they
might decide that there is more subject-specific knowledge contained in the
problem. So, I think it is quite subjective.

Yours,
Henry Lynam.

On 4 June 2012 21:19, Humanist Discussion Group <