[Humanist] 26.200 support for Amicus Brief?

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jul 31 17:13:01 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 13:28:58 +0000
        From: Matthew Jockers <mjockers at unl.edu>
        Subject: Support for Amicus Brief in Authors Guild v. Google

Humanists:

A few weeks ago, Matthew Sag, Jason Schultz and I filed an amicus brief (see http://ssrn.com/abstract=2102542) on behalf of Researchers in the Digital Humanities and Law Professors in Authors Guild v. Hathitrust. That brief included endorsement from ACH and a number of individual researchers.  We are preparing to file a very similar brief in Authors Guild v. Google next week and are seeking further support within the larger DH community.

Our argument is that mass digitization of books for text-mining purposes is a form of mass intermediate copying that enables socially beneficial nonexpressive and non-infringing uses without directly harming any markets for expressive uses of the works themselves. We urge the court to recognize that text-mining and the digitization that enables it constitutes a nonexpressive use that should be found to be fair use.

If you would like your name added to the list of signers, please email Matthew Sag (matthewsag at gmail.com) and me (mjockers at unl.edu) with your

Name, Title, and Institution

by Tuesday July 31, 2012.  A draft of the brief is attached for your consideration.

Thanks!

Matt

--
Matthew L. Jockers