[Humanist] 26.199 fundamental research questions

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Tue Jul 31 17:12:14 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2012 12:26:33 +0200
        From: "Nicoline van der Sijs" <post at nicolinevdsijs.nl>
        Subject: fundamental research questions

Dear colleagues,

With some hesitation I react on the discussion on DH research questions. However, maybe this is of some interest to you. Last year I was asked by the Meertens Institute (working together with a great number of other Dutch research institutes and universities) to make an inventory of  fundamental research questions for diachronic research into the humanities (history, linguistics, literary theory). I have consulted ca. 150 researchers in the Netherlands and Flanders on their ideas, and what kind of corpus and tools they need to make their research possible. This did not lead to a couple of common fundamental questions.

However, on the basis of the shared common typology of the hundreds of research questions mentioned, I could write a request for subsidy for: Nederlab - Laboratory for research on the patterns of change in the Dutch language and culture. Nederlab's goal is to enable scholars in the humanities to find answers to new, longitudinal research questions. For this purpose Nederlab aims at setting up a user-friendly tool-enriched web interface, allowing researchers to simultaneously search and analyse the digital historical texts made available by scientific libraries and institutions, at text and metadata level.

In June this year we heard that this project is granted 3,4 million euro. I hereby attach a pdf of the application (without the appendices); if this doesn't reach you, you can find the text at:

http://www.diachronie.nl/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=45&Itemid=20
(scroll to 1 november 2011, and open the file Aanvraag Nederlab.)

If you have any questions or suggestions on the Nederlab project, do not hesitate to contact me. We will start January 2013.

Best regards,
Nicoline van der Sijs

*** Attachments:
    http://www.digitalhumanities.org/humanist/Attachments/1343557740_2012-07-29_humanist-owner@lists.digitalhumanities.org_6256.2.pdf

dr. Nicoline van der Sijs
Schaepmanplein 20, 2314 EH Leiden, 071-5238986
Dit bericht is totstandgekomen via spraakherkenning