[Humanist] 26.196 uppercaselessness & machines of loving grace

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jul 28 23:12:22 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    amsler at cs.utexas.edu                                      (14)
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.195 uppercaselessness

  [2]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (29)
        Subject: machines of loving grace

        Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 11:44:11 -0500
        From: amsler at cs.utexas.edu

The story I heard on the origin of all CAPS text for early computing
was that IBM made the decision because they couldn't have both
upper/lower case available and reasoned that executives of companies
would prefer to see their names in all capitals over lower case. Given
that business computing was outside of scientific calculation, the
most important revenue source for sale of computers, this makes sense.

IBM also originated the abbreviation convention of dropping as many
interior vowels from words as needed to shorten them to fit variable
and file naming conventions (remember 8.3 file names) in programs and
on the early online systems.

What I always thought was the greatest missed opportunity for text
processing was not to have separated the many uses of . into distinct
characters. Oh how nice it would be if abbreviation periods were a
separate character from sentence periods and decimal points.