[Humanist] 26.193 readers and machines

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jul 28 01:49:15 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2012 07:57:05 -0400
        From: Darby Orcutt <dcorcutt at ncsu.edu>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 26.189 readers and machines

Willard,
     You are certainly not just cane-thumping! Asking such questions,
and thus problematizing the current narrative is vital.
     I see the recent "logic of replacement" as continuous with the
presumptions made at other historical moments of proliferating
adoption of new technologies. In an earlier period, the machine
threatened (rhetorically and actually) to replace the factory worker;
now, even we humanists are imperiled.
     Analogically, I think of how advances in scientific understanding
of animal intelligence have displaced our formerly entrenched notions
of what makes us as humans unique in the world. I think we may be in
the very early days of machine intelligence likewise challenging our
presumptions, and already forcing us to articulate in ways we have not
had to spell out previously just what it is that makes a human
different than a computer.
     Thanks for the food for thought.
Best,
Darby

Darby Orcutt
Assistant Head
Collection Management
North Carolina State University Libraries
Box 7111
Raleigh, NC  27695-7111
USA
919/ 513-0364
919/ 513-1108 fax
dcorcutt at ncsu.edu

On Thu, Jul 26, 2012 at 7:22 PM, Humanist Discussion Group