[Humanist] 26.177 events: electronic ensemble; Making of the Humanities; iConference

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Jul 21 01:33:09 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    "Bod, Rens" <L.W.M.Bod at uva.nl>                             (4)
        Subject: Call for Participation: The Making of the Humanities III,
                Rome, 1-3November

  [2]   From:    Shawn Day <day.shawn at GMAIL.COM>                          (136)
        Subject: Submissions for iConference 2013

  [3]   From:    David Ogborn <ogbornd at mcmaster.ca>                        (42)
        Subject: TES - special session on participatory electronic ensemble
                performance

        Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 11:21:39 +0000
        From: "Bod, Rens" <L.W.M.Bod at uva.nl>
        Subject: Call for Participation: The Making of the Humanities III, Rome, 1-3November

Dear humanists,

The preliminary program of The Making of the Humanities III (Rome, 1-3 November) is now online -- see http://makingofthehumanitiesiii.blogspot.com/

Best regards,

Rens Bod

        Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2012 15:15:13 +0100
        From: Shawn Day <day.shawn at GMAIL.COM>

FYI:

Now Accepting Submissions: iConference 2013
Fort Worth, Texas, February 12-15, 2013
http://www.ischools.org/iConference13/2013index/

We are now accepting submissions for iConference 2013, our eighth annual
gathering of scholars, researchers, and professionals who share an interest
in the critical information issues of contemporary society.

In keeping with our ongoing effort to push the boundaries of information
scholarship, we have added several new areas of participation this year. In
addition to the usual peer-reviewed papers, posters, alternative events, and
workshops, this year’s submission options includes Notes, a Research Paper
Development Roundtable, a Social Media Expo, and a Doctoral Dissertation
Competition.

Authors and organizers can now submit materials using our secure submissions
website: https://www.conftool.pro/iConference13/. The official proceedings
will be published in the open access Illinois Digital Environment for Access
to Learning and Scholarship (IDEALS). All submitting authors must provide
basic information and agree to the IDEALS Deposit Agreement: Non-Exclusive
Distribution and Preservation License.

iConference 2013 takes place February 12-15, 2013, in Fort Worth Texas, and
is hosted by the College of Information at the University of North Texas.
The presenting sponsor is Microsoft Research. The conference theme is
Scholarship in Action: Data, Innovation, Wisdom. The iConference series is
presented by the iSchools Caucus (www.ischools.org http://www.ischools.org/
), a growing association of Schools, Faculties and Colleges in North
America, Europe, Asia and Australia. Affiliation with the iSchools is not
required to participate—all information scholars and practitioners are
invited.

SUBMISSION INFORMATION

The following describe the details for each of the submissions along with
deadlines.

* Papers: Results of completed original research, maximum 6,000 words (not
counting references).  Papers will be refereed in a double-blind process.
Submissions will be in PDF format. Visit the Papers webpage for more
information on formatting: http://www.ischools.org/iConference13/papers/
Submission deadline: September 3, 2012. Notification: Early November. Final
version due: December 3, 2012.

* Notes: Reports of early and partial results, maximum 2,500 words (not
counting references).  Notes will be refereed in a double-blind process.
Submissions will be in PDF format. Visit the Notes webpage for more
information on formatting: http://www.ischools.org/iConference13/notes/
Submission deadline: September 10, 2012. Notification: Early November. Final
version due: December 3, 2012.

* Posters: We welcome submission of Posters presenting new work, preliminary
results and designs, or educational projects. Applicants will submit an
abstract, maximum 1,500 words (not including references), describing the
proposed Poster, and these abstracts will undergo a single-blind blind
review process (i.e., reviewers will know the identity of authors, but not
vice versa). Abstract submissions will be in PDF format. Completed Posters
will be presented at the iConference. Visit the Posters webpage for more
information: http://www.ischools.org/iConference13/posters/

Abstract submission deadline: September 24, 2012. Notification:
Mid-November. Final abstract due: December 7, 2012. Completed poster due:
February 12, 2013

* Workshops: Workshops can be half- or full-day and can focus on any area
related the conference theme (Scholarship in Action) or more broadly to the
purview of the iSchools, namely, the relationships among information, people
and technology. Submission will be in PDF format, and additional submission
guidelines are provided on the website. Visit the Workshops webpage for more
information: http://www.ischools.org/iConference13/workshops/ Submission
deadline: September 24, 2012.

Notification: Early October. Final version due: Early November.

* Alternative Events: These can include panels, fishbowls, performances,
storytelling, roundtable discussions, wildcard sessions, demos/exhibitions,
and more. All should be highly participatory, informal, engaging, and
pluralistic. Submission will be in PDF format, and additional submission
guidelines are provided on the website.  Visit the Alternative Events
webpage for more information:
http://www.ischools.org/iConference13/alternative_events/

Submission deadline: September 24, 2012. Notification: Mid-November. Final
version due: December 7, 2012.

* Research Paper Development Roundtable: This new iConference submission
track is for researchers developing manuscripts for submission as journal
articles. The goals of this track are to provide a forum for interactive
development of research papers, enable a discussion of current research
ideas, provide a clear path to journal publication, and increase
collaboration opportunities for junior faculty.  Papers reporting work in
progress and late breaking research are welcome. Visit the Roundtable
webpage for detailed submission and other information:
http://www.ischools.org/iConference13/research/

Submission deadline: Extended abstracts due August 1, 2012. Notification:
Early October. Full draft due: January 7, 2013.

OTHER EVENTS SCHEDULED

* Doctoral Colloquium: The doctoral student colloquium will provide doctoral
students the opportunity to present their work to senior faculty and one
another in a setting that is relatively informal but that allows for the
fullest of intellectual exchanges. Students will receive feedback on their
dissertation and/or current research from participating faculty and student
peers. Participation in the doctoral colloquium is restricted to students
who have applied for and been accepted into the colloquium. The colloquium
will not be open to observers. Visit the doctoral colloquium webpage for
more information:http://www.ischools.org/iConference13/doctoral/

Application deadline: September 24, 2012. Notification: Mid-November.

* Early Career Colloquium: This half-day event is intended for assistant
professors, post-docs, or others in pre-tenure positions and builds on the
tradition of highly successful events at past iConferences. The program will
include an introductory presentation on the tenure process, panels by
recently tenured faculty and experienced former deans, and small group
discussions to provide informal dialogue, guidance, and insights. Visit the
early career colloquium webpage for more information:
http://www.ischools.org/iConference13/jr_faculty/

* FUSE Labs iConference Social Media Expo: The iConference, in collaboration
with FUSE Labs of Microsoft Research, is pleased to announce the first
iConference Social Media Expo. The exposition is designed to showcase
exceptional interdisciplinary research and development work from information
school programs specializing in social media. Students are asked to form
interdisciplinary teams of 3-5 students to perform research, design,
development or community engagement exploring technological solutions to
people’s real needs around the theme of leveraging social media to foster
lifelong learning in everyday life. A representative team from each
participating school will be selected to attend and featured in a
presentation at a special session of the iConference in February of 2013.
Visit the Social Media Expo webpage for more information:
http://www.ischools.org/iConference13/expo/

Initial notification: Letters of Interest due September 14, 2012

* Doctoral Dissertation Competition: As a way of recognizing the outstanding
work being done at iSchools, the iCaucus has instituted a Doctoral
Dissertation Competition, with awards to be given out at iConference 2013.
The Coordinating Committee will accept one nomination from each member
iSchool, and will select up to two best dissertations. The winning
nomination(s) will receive a cash prize of $2,500.00 US. Applicants should
have successfully defended the doctoral dissertation and completed the
doctoral degree (including all final revisions, if any, and all final paper
work) within the academic year from July 1, 2011 to June 30 2012. The
dissertation research can be on any topic in the information field, broadly
defined, and use any methodology. Visit the Doctoral Dissertation Award
webpage for more information:
http://www.ischools.org/iConference13/dissertation/

Submission deadline: September 15, 2012

* Conference Home: http://www.ischools.org/iConference13/2013index/