[Humanist] 26.168 NB: anxieties, possibilities, challenges

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Wed Jul 18 02:38:55 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 18 Jul 2012 10:31:13 +1000
        From: Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>
        Subject: anxieties, possibilities, challenges

To those who have not yet read (or heard) Andrew Prescott's lecture,
"Making the Digital Human: Anxieties, Possibilities, Challenges",
published in his blog Digital Riffs
(digitalriffs.blogspot.com.au/2012/07/making-digital-human-anxieties.html),
with the appended comments by Gabriel Bodard and Paul Caton, let me
suggest -- I'd insist, if doing so would be more effective -- that it be
put at the top of your reading list. And let me go on to suggest
(insist) that the several turns in his argument be met with vigorous
discussion. For nothing I have read recently does more to poke at the
tender spots of our young(ish) field and to point to some pieties and
transcendental virtues that need to be argued thoughtfully, not just
intoned -- argued for and against until they can lift the heaviest weights
of scholarly gravitas -- if what we love is to survive in a form we will
still be able to love.

That this lecture follows hard upon the recent event hosted by Manfred
Thaller at Cologne, the papers of which have just appeared in Historical
Social Research / Historisch Sozialforschung under the title
"Controversies around the Digital Humanities"
(hsozkult.geschichte.hu-berlin.de/zeitschriften/id=23&count=1&recno=1&ausgabe=6950),
is a *very* good sign for the times. More, I say, of this, less of the
buzzwords and bandwagons.

Comments?

(www.isr-journal.org); Editor, Humanist