[Humanist] 26.163 publications: interdisciplinary topic maps; surveillance

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jul 16 00:16:43 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Patrick Durusau <patrick at durusau.net>                     (36)
        Subject: Crossing interdisciplinary boundaries

  [2]   From:    Christian Fuchs <christian.fuchs at uti.at>                  (53)
        Subject: report on polticial economy of communications surveillance

        Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2012 19:50:51 -0400
        From: Patrick Durusau <patrick at durusau.net>

Willard,

News of crossing interdisciplinary boundaries with topic maps:

LSU Researchers Create Topic Map of Oil Spill Disaster
http://www.lsu.edu/ur/ocur/lsunews/MediaCenter/News/2012/07/item50502.html

 From the post:

> The Gulf of Mexico Deepwater Horizon Oil Spill incident has impacted
> many aspects of the coastal environment and inhabitants of surrounding
> states. However, government officials, Gulf-based researchers,
> journalists and members of the general public who want a big picture
> of the impact on local ecosystems and communities are currently
> limited by discipline-specific and fractured information on the
> various aspects of the incident and its impacts.
>

> To solve this problem, Assistant Professor in the School of Library
> and Information Science Yejun Wu is leading the way in information
> convergence on oil spill events. Wu’s lab has created a first edition
> of an online topic map, available at http://topicmap.lsu.edu/, that
> brings together information from a wide range of research fields
> including biological science, chemistry, coastal and environmental
> science, engineering, political science, mass communication studies
> and many other disciplines in order to promote collaboration and big
> picture understanding of technological disasters.

Hope you are having a great day!

Patrick

--
Patrick Durusau
patrick at durusau.net
Former Chair, V1 - US TAG to JTC 1/SC 34
Convener, JTC 1/SC 34/WG 3 (Topic Maps)

Homepage: http://www.durusau.net
Twitter: patrickDurusau