[Humanist] 26.138 publications: Oxford Scholarly Editions; Architectures of the Book; TEI corpora

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Mon Jul 9 22:33:29 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    Christian Thomas <christian.thomas.1 at staff.hu-berlin.de>  (40)
        Subject: Quality Assurance in large TEI corpora

  [2]   From:    Richard Cunningham <richard.cunningham at acadiau.ca>        (15)
        Subject: call for contributions: Architectures of the Book

  [3]   From:    Willard McCarty <willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk>          (31)
        Subject: Oxford Scholarly Editions Online

        Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2012 11:31:14 +0200
        From: Christian Thomas <christian.thomas.1 at staff.hu-berlin.de>

Dear Colleagues,

for those concerned with Quality Assurance in large TEI corpora,
Deutsches Textarchiv's recently published article might be of interest.
English abstract below, text is German, though.

All the best
– for the DTA-Team –
Christian Thomas

Alexander Geyken, Susanne Haaf, Bryan Jurish, Matthias Schulz, Christian
Thomas, Frank Wiegand: "TEI und Textkorpora: Fehlerklassifikation und
Qualitätskontrolle vor, während und nach der Texterfassung im Deutschen
Textarchiv" In: Jahrbuch für Computerphilologie,
http://www.computerphilologie.de/jg09/geykenetal.pdf

Abstract:
This paper deals with the issue of quality assurance in very large,
XML/TEI-encoded full-text collections. The text corpus edited by the
DFG-funded project Deutsches Textarchiv (henceforth: DTA), a large and
still growing reference corpus of historical German, is a fine example
of such a collection. The following remarks focus on text prepared in a
Double-Keying-process, since the major part of the DTA-corpus is
compiled by applying this highly accurate method. An extensive and
multi-tiered approach, which is currently applied by the DTA for the
analysis and correction of errors in double-keyed text, is introduced.
The process of quality assurance is pursued in a formative way in order
to prevent as many errors as possible, as well as in a summative way in
order to track errors which nevertheless may have occurred in the course
of full-text digitization. To facilitate the latter, DTAQ, a web-based,
collaborative tool for finding and commenting errors in the corpus, was
developed. On the profound basis of practical experience in the past
four years, the preliminaries and possible methods of conducting a
widespread quality assurance are being discussed.

--
Christian Thomas
Deutsches Textarchiv

Raum:   359