[Humanist] 26.130 events: Chicago Colloquium

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Jul 5 23:03:20 CEST 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2012 15:29:56 -0500
        From: Peter Leonard <pleonard at gmail.com>
        Subject: CFP for the 7th Annual Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities andComputer Science

The Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities and Computer Science

November 17-19, 2012
The University of Chicago – Chicago, Illinois, USA
Submission Deadline: September 15, 2012
http://chicagocolloquium.org

The Chicago Colloquium on Digital Humanities and Computer Science (DHCS) brings together researchers and scholars in the humanities and computer science to examine the current state of digital humanities as a field of intellectual inquiry and to identify and explore new directions and perspectives for future research.

Here is a brief look at the three most recent conferences in the DHCS series, which celebrates its seventh year running in 2012.

DHCS 2008 (University of Chicago) focused on "Making Sense" – an exploration of how meaning is created and apprehended at the transition from the digital to the analog.
DHCS 2009 (IIT) focused on computational methods in digital humanities, including computational stylistics, text analytics, and visualization.
DHCS 2010 (Northwestern) focused on "Working with Digital Data: Collaborate, Curate, Analyze, Annotate."
DHCS 2011 (Loyola University Chicago) focussed on "Platform and Game Studies."

We invite submissions on any research broadly related to Digital Humanities and Computer Science from scholars, researchers, librarians, technologists, and students. We particularly encourage proposals on visualization tools, theories, methodologies and workflows to make sense of Big Data.

This year's DHCS is sponsored by The University of Chicago, Loyola University Chicago, Northwestern University, and the Illinois Institute of Technology.

Venue
-----

The conference will be held at The University of Chicago on its Hyde Park Campus.

The University of Chicago
Ida Noyes Hall
1212 East 59th Street
Chicago, IL 60637

Colloquium Schedule
-------------------

The formal DHCS colloquium program runs Sunday November 18 (all day) through Monday, November 19 (ending mid-afternoon), preceded by optional registration and informal meet-ups on the afternoon of Saturday November 17. The Colloquium consists of 1.5 hour paper panels and two-hour poster sessions, as well as keynote speeches. Generous time has been set aside for questions and follow-up discussions after each panel and in the schedule breaks. There are no plans for parallel sessions. For further details, please see the conference website.

Registration Fee
----------------

Attendance for DHCS 2012 is free. All conference participants, however, will be required to register in advance. Details to follow as the conference program is finalized.

Submission Format
-----------------

We welcome submissions that are either extended abstracts or full papers (8-page maximum, please) in PDF format. We welcome submissions for:

Paper presentations (15 and 30 minute presentations)
Posters
Software demonstrations
Performances
Pre-conference tutorials/workshops/seminars, and
Pre-conference “birds of a feather” meetings
This year, we are using the EasyChair software to handle all submissions.

http://www.easychair.org/conferences/?conf=dhcs2012

The instructions are simple:

Register yourself (you will add co-authors later)
Confirm the registration e-mail.
Make sure you go back to the main link and sign in.
Create a "New Submission". Fill in all appropriate sections.
Don't forget to Upload Paper at the end of the form.
Submissions will only be accepted at the EasyChair URL above. Should you run into problems, please contact Peter Leonard at pleonard+dhcs at gmail.com

Important Dates

Deadline for Submissions: September 15
Notification of Acceptance: October 1
Full Program Announcement: October 22
Registration: October 7-November 17
Informal meet-ups: Saturday November 17 afternoon
Colloquium: Sunday, November 18 – Monday, November 19, 2012

Contact/Questions

Email pleonard+dhcs at gmail.com