[Humanist] 25.753 the media intellectual

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Feb 25 09:18:52 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

  [1]   From:    D.Allington <d.allington at open.ac.uk>                      (22)
        Subject: RE: [Humanist] 25.749 the media intellectual?

  [2]   From:    Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>                       (110)

  [3]   From:    Alan Corre <corre at uwm.edu>                                 (2)
        Subject: The Ziz

        Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:55:26 +0000
        From: D.Allington <d.allington at open.ac.uk>

Interesting question. I'm not sure that Zizek in himself represents any particular change - to me at least, he seems a fairly typical representative of a long line of celebrity intellectuals (e.g. Barthes and Rousseau) - but there are huge issues around how to conduct real scholarship via online media (as opposed to online surrogates for print media). Does scholarship require peer review, for example? The success of celebrity intellectuals suggests that it does not. But then again, perhaps 'scholarship' is not the best word for what celebrity intellectuals engage in. So what is it that we who are not celebrities engage in when we turn aside from usual scholarly channels of communication and (say) post to a blog? I for one find that to be immensely difficult because, when I engage in it, I'm never sure in who (or what) I am writing as.

best wishes

Daniel

Dr Daniel Allington
Lecturer in English Language Studies and Applied Linguistics
Centre for Language and Communication
The Open University
+44 (0) 1908 332 914

http://open.academia.edu/DanielAllington