[Humanist] 25.716 illusions and errors

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sun Feb 12 09:33:11 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2012 10:52:21 -0800
        From: Jascha Kessler <urim1 at verizon.net>
        Subject: Re: [Humanist] 25.713 illusions and errors

I am not sure what this statement actually says: "between what we
believe from scientific knowledge to be true and what we see as true."
Believing what we see [seeing is believing, runs the adage...erroneously?]
is believing we see what we see.  But knowledge is not something given by
the senses, but abstracted from moment to moment existence, or the
sensorium in action.  I think it might be suggested that Freud ran into
this question [Freud the student of neurology in early training years, some
flatworm or other], when he was summing up what he had learned in his 1898
first major work, INTERPRETATION OF DREAMS.  He ended up with two
categories of "seeing" in the dream: Manifest Content and Latent Content.
 The latent had to be deduced from the process of free associations of
images/thoughts/emotions to the reflection on the Manifest content, which
of course turned out to be what we get in movies, a presentation well and
dramatically formed and edited.

Jascha Kessler

On Sat, Feb 11, 2012 at 12:10 AM, Humanist Discussion Group <

--
Jascha Kessler
Telephone/Facsimile: 310.393.4648