[Humanist] 25.714 call for contributors and testers

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Feb 11 09:11:42 CET 2012

                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 10 Feb 2012 08:41:39 -0500
        From: Julia Flanders <julia_flanders at brown.edu>
        Subject: Call for TAPAS test contributors and beta-testers

Call for TAPAS test contributors and beta-testers

Do you have TEI data and an adventurous spirit? The TEI Archiving,
Publishing, and Access Service (TAPAS) is seeking participants to help
us test early versions of the TAPAS service, now under development
with generous funding from the IMLS and NEH. Over time, TAPAS will
provide a full set of repository and publishing services for TEI
projects. In the first year, our goal is to permit contributors to
upload TEI files and associated data to a Fedora repository, create
metadata, and perform basic file management.

Here’s how beta-testers and test contributors can help during the
course of the coming year:

1. In summer 2012, we will be developing the ingestion interface
through which TEI data can be submitted to TAPAS. We’ll be looking for
feedback on usability and required features, as well as basic
information about your TEI data.

2. In fall 2012, we will be testing the submission and ingestion
interface. We will need test contributors with TEI data willing to
upload it to TAPAS and tell us how we can improve the process.

3. In late summer and early fall 2012, we will be working on
documentation and will need readers who can help us identify areas
that need explanation, and help us clarify difficult points.

4. Throughout the development process, we'll be glad of thoughtful
test users of all kinds interested in being part of a "virtual focus
group."

We welcome participants willing to help with any or all of these
activities. Even if you don’t have any TEI data right now, but will
have some soon, we would be glad to hear from you. And if you'd just
like to be kept on our mailing list for when we start recruiting TAPAS
members, you can sign up for that as well.

A few caveats are important here. Our long-term goal is to provide a
fully functional repository and publishing service for TEI data.
However, in this phase of the project we are building and testing the
service in a very preliminary way. Data contributed by beta-testers
will be used for testing purposes to help us develop schemas,
stylesheets, and interface features, but we cannot make any guarantees
about functionality, long-term storage, or anything else at this early
stage. Test data and projects will be visible (and visibly thanked!)
on the TAPAS site.

To express your interest, please register here: http://bit.ly/ufjOFO

Thanks and best wishes on behalf of the TAPAS team,

Julia Flanders, Brown University
Scott Hamlin, Wheaton College