[Humanist] 26.628 imagining new techniques of external remembering

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 28 09:58:36 CET 2012

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 27 Dec 2012 10:39:10 -0600
        From: amsler at cs.utexas.edu
        Subject: imagining new techniques of external remembering

"As we struggle to imagine and construct (the) what we call the
"digital textual edition" as well as the digital memory archive, what
are we doing that is not simply a digital rehash of our
techno-conceptual inheritance? - WM"

This isn't quite the optimistic response you were looking for since
the focus of my thinking about the online world has been primarily on
what we are losing and in particular whether print book and paper
artifacts themselves are in the process of disappearing. But I suppose
it's a glass half-full/half-empty way of looking at things.

There are several themes here:

(1a) The disappearance of the print book and its replacement not with
the eBook, but with the web site.

(1b) The question as to whether the web page is in fact the upgraded
replacement for the printed page because the web page now does much
more than the printed page could do in terms of ability to incorporate
other media and live links and as such is the basis for the print book
becoming obsolete. I.e., the unit of knowledge may have always been
the 'page' rather than the 'book' and now that the page has evolved
significantly, the 'book' as a collection of pages is being erased
from the future--but is the web site its replacement?

(2) The failure to carry over to the web site (as the book's
replacement) the two print memory conventions of cataloguing and
indexing. I.e., that librarians in general do not create catalog
records for web sites--and thereby as a civilization we have
absentmindedly abandoned the access to the future of knowledge by
subject classifications and all the mechanisms of knowledge access
afforded by having lists of works by authors, titles, dates, etc. You
can't browse the web by virtually looking at web sites arranged by
subject call numbers as you could walk the shelves of a library; nor
readily discover the web sites created by the same authors. The lack
of cataloging information for web sites makes them almost 'anonymous'
and dateless. The 'site index' is not widely used and it is actually
more of a 'table of contents' than an index in the book sense of the
word.

I found one site that seems to be trying to reverse this trend,

A Virtual Library of Useful URLs Subject Headings Arranged by Dewey
Decimal Classification: 000-999

http://www.aresearchguide.com/15urls.html

(3) The disappearance of the print index and its replacement with the
keyword search capability of computers without a realization that
print indexes had entries that did not necessarily represent words
actually in the print document as well as offered hierarchical levels
of indexed terms--hence we are becoming 'content blind' since all we
now know of online data is its keywords and their Boolean and
proximity relationships to each other.

The creation of the 'tag' for electronic pages may be an effort to
remedy this gap, but it is a throwback to a more primitive stage of
indexing in which index values were created by amateurs and not
rigorously controlled so that information seekers and information
creators could find each other through common descriptive phrases.

(5) That the world of paper with text on it may vanish and in the
future and it will be hard for people to know what was on paper in the
environment in the past. (I recall a Huminist interest in what we
should be saving for future study that we are not. Perhaps this is one
such bit of knowledge.)

Already we may have lost the knowledge of the ecology of print paper
from previous decades. What was the paper environment like in the
earliest centuries in which paper existed and in the intervening
decades when it became inexpensive and ubiquitious in the environment.
There were 'editions' of newspapers, for example, 'printings' of
books, dust jackets, all things that may disappear along with the
knowledge of how common or rare they were in everyday life. Knowledge
of what we took for granted as the printed information on the detritus
of paper swirling on city streets or as decaying remnants posted on
walls and poles, handed out, etc, may all vanish eventually.

Oh, a typo in the below Humanist post. "Making the Mind: A History of
Memory's author is "Kurt" (not "Karl") Danziger. Amazon couldn't find
it at first until I tried more complete descriptions.

                               www.dhhumanist.org/
                 Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org