[Humanist] 26.627 XML & what kind of scholarship

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 28 09:56:06 CET 2012

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2012 06:24:17 +1000
        From: Desmond Schmidt <desmond.allan.schmidt at gmail.com>
        Subject: Re:  26.625 XML & what kind of scholarship

Jay,

You seem to be arguing that the process of encoding is somehow neutral
because "the information in the human brain has to get into the
machine somehow ... Introducing paper into the process at various
points seems irrelevant." And you seem to be saying that markup and
text is all kind of mixed up and indistinguishable both in the
artefacts we edit and the way we edit them. But I still think that
distinguishing markup from text, interpretation from fact and analog
from digital is worthwhile.

Take the example of a 17th century edition of Shakespeare that
contains an italic word "really". A 21st century digital humanist
transcribes those black marks on a piece of paper as
"<emph>really</emph>" in XML. That's an interpretation. The printer
didn't write that code, didn't use the digital medium, didn't choose
to mark it with <emph> instead of <hi rend="italic">, etc. On the
other hand, a 21st century writer who composes a text in which the
word "really" is encoded natively in his XML as "<emph>really</emph>"
did in fact write those markup codes, those digital characters. The
result is exactly the same, but the status of the two digital texts is
entirely different.

You seem to be saying that it is easy to move from digital to print
and back again. But is that really true? If you format and print an
XML text can I recover the XML encoding from the printed artefact? I
wouldn't have a hope. I could only re-encode that born-digital text in
XML again through an act of interpretation. Even supposing that you
had used XML would be an interpretation.

We are going to get very confused if we can't distinguish
interpretation from the thing being interpreted. Markup added or
changed by an editor is interpretation, but physical, analog texts,
like born digital texts, are facts.

Desmond Schmidt
eResearch Lab
University of Queensland

On Thu, Dec 27, 2012 at 7:52 PM, Humanist Discussion Group