[Humanist] 26.624 farewell to Christmas

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Dec 27 10:52:14 CET 2012

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 12:57:43 -0600 (CST)
        From: Alan Corre <corre at uwm.edu>
        Subject: Your Xmas missive.

A wonderful statement by a very special colleague! I do not have before me the Encyclopedia of Linguistics edited by Philipp Strazny, to which I contributed an article about Zellig Harris--one of the most brilliant minds I ever had the privilege of glimpsing--so I speak from memory, but there I commented that Zellig did not believe in a "God's truth" theory of linguistics. He felt that there were many routes to scientific knowledge. And this was from a man who had read widely in all the social sciences, and gave much food for thought in his (often difficult) works.

As the man whose presumptive birthday occurs tomorrow said: "In my father's house are many mansions." (John 14:2) Wise words.

Happy New Year, Willard, and thanks for all you do for us.

Alan Corré