[Humanist] 26.619 new techniques of external remembering

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Sat Dec 22 10:48:21 CET 2012

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2012 11:00:43 +0100
        From: Joris van Zundert <joris.van.zundert at huygens.knaw.nl>
        Subject: Re:  26.608 new techniques of external remembering?

Dear Willard,

Indeed we are most of the times merely grappling with the digital metaphor
of the process of externalizing memory and its results. Although I like the
digital counterparts of books and the like, at least for me it is
disappointing to conclude that we mostly do not reach beyond some sometimes
impressively sophisticated skeuomorphisms. Especially as they –I think–
tend to eclipse a far harder but potentially far more rewarding challenge:
to externalize not what was externalized already, but to externalize the
processes of interaction and synthesis. Capturing expression may give us
scale of memory, but capturing reasoning may yield scale of mind.

With a Christmas greeting for all
-- Joris

--
Drs. Joris J. van Zundert
*Researcher & Developer Digital and Computational Humanities

-------
*Jack Sparrow: I thought you were supposed to keep to the code.
Mr. Gibbs: We figured they were more actual guidelines.
*