[Humanist] 26.582 coevolution

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Fri Dec 14 07:04:50 CET 2012

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2012 13:59:04 +0100
        From: "Dr. Hartmut Krech" <kr538 at zfn.uni-bremen.de>
        Subject: Re:  26.576 coevolution

Willard seems to lay a finger on the wound of coevolution
in that this term presupposes the interaction between two
separate species that will react by coadaptation. Are
"humans" and "machines" (the original question) separate
species and can we attribute intentionality to machines
beyond the metaphoric sphere? Haines Brown and Wendell Piez
with their "use-centered approach" to view humans and
machines as "things" seem to point into the direction of an
ontological, especially cognitive, solution ('"Dinge" are entities that
we can think of' Johannes Clauberg, 1660s). Will that be
sufficient to save human freedom in the face of human products?

To add just a little spice to your interesting discussion,
please allow me to quote from a highly readable book,
treating the subject of technology within an unusually
far-ranging field of view: "Much of what is written on the
history of technology is for boys of all ages. This book is
a history for grown-ups of all genders. We have lived with
technology for a long time, and collectively we know a lot
about it. [...] Yet too often the agenda for discussing the
past, present and future of technology is set by the
promoters of new technologies." (David Edgerton: Shock Of
The Old: Technology and Global History since 1900. London:
Profile Books, 2006. ISBN 9781861973061).

Best regards,
Hartmut Krech
http://ww3.de/krech