[Humanist] 26.575 open access statement

Humanist Discussion Group willard.mccarty at mccarty.org.uk
Thu Dec 13 09:30:47 CET 2012

                              www.dhhumanist.org/
                Submit to: humanist at lists.digitalhumanities.org

        Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2012 10:06:48 +0100
        From: maurizio lana <m.lana at lett.unipmn.it>
        Subject: Re:  26.572 open access statement?

Il 12/12/2012 08:17, Humanist Discussion Group ha scritto:
> I am writing to bring to your attention a statement on open access from
> the editors of a number of history journals:
> http://www.history.ac.uk/news/2012-12-10/statement-position-relation-open-access
>
> I'll refrain from commenting immediately, but I find it both
>  disappointing, and rather peculiar (it isn't actually signed, for
> example)

as far as i can see, there are two problems:

1) a 36 months embargo is surely too long a period.

2) type of CC license (btw: CC Licenses are now a de facto standard): Finch
report requests the adoption of CC-BY licenses (CC-BY are also strongly
suggested by EC research funding programs: if you get funds, then you must
publish the results under OA licenses, with strong pressure towards CC-BY).
while the editors offer only CCBY-NC-ND (attribution, non commercial, no
derivatives) i myself i prefer BY-NC-SA (attribution, non commercial, share
alike). here is why. i as many other people am doing research in a public
system (university). this "system" gives me little money with great
difficulty, and globally the public system is reputed an inefficient,
waste-prone system. there are people in the decision room which think that
it's better not giving me any money as it would be anyway a waste because i
am in the public sector and i do research on texts rather than on nanotech
(or whatever similar).

why should i give away the results of my research under CC-BY? if those
results are useless no one has any worries about the license. if those
results are useful and someone wants to make money using them, then it's
only fair that s/he is obliged to negotiate with me the terms for reuse, and
to become aware that my supposedly useless and wasteful research is really
something good.

maurizio

-------Maurizio Lana - ricercatore
Università  del Piemonte Orientale, Dipartimento di Studi Umanistici
via Manzoni 8, 13100 Vercelli - tel. +39 347 7370925